Cats due date is within a week of moving day

laurynwillz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friends cat is staying at my place because we want kittens. We missed her first heat cycle and after rechecking the calandar it appears that her due date is within a few days of moving day (sept 1st)

I can't leave her with my current roommate as she is very neglectful and wouldn't feed or water the cats for days.

The only option is to bring her to the new house with me. I'm panicking because I don't want her to be stressed and end up going into labour early or late etc etc.

I have set up 2 medium "dog" crates; a carrying crate and a wire crate with soft blankets for her and try to lure her in there with treats/cat nip so that when we do move her, she'll have a safe place to go that smells only like her.

Is this enough, is there any advice on what to do, or if there's a spray I can use to help transition her to the new house. Please help set my mind at ease.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feliway may help, if you can find it in time.  It actually sounds as if you have made reasonable plans at this point.  When you move her, make sure you can put her somewhere quiet while the upheaval is going on.  When I move, Hekitty will go into the bathroom at the new place first thing, with a huge sign saying, DO NOT OPEN DOOR!  That's about all you can do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurynwillz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feliway may help, if you can find it in time.  It actually sounds as if you have made reasonable plans at this point.  When you move her, make sure you can put her somewhere quiet while the upheaval is going on.  When I move, Hekitty will go into the bathroom at the new place first thing, with a huge sign saying, DO NOT OPEN DOOR!  That's about all you can do.
I currently have 3 cats, the 2 black ones who mated and my fur baby Marley who I've had since he was a kitten, I was planning on quickly arranging my room before moving the cats so that the queen can have my bedroom while the other cats can have a bathroom.

Do you think the Queen would be ok sharing my bedroom with the cat she mated with? They seem to be very friendly with each other and play quite often.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
laurynwillz laurynwillz

Just move the cat with you as planned, and make sure that she feels safe and knows where her nest is.

It should be fine. Thank you for caring, and please keep us posted!

She should be kept separate from the male she mated with until she can be spayed.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
New mama cats are notoriously finicky about other cats being around their kittens.  She might be fine with it, and she might not.  The kittens should be safe with the tom.  They rarely kill their own kittens.However,  your girl will be able to get pregnant immediately after giving birth, depending on her heat cycle.  It would be so hard on her little body for her to feed these kittens while trying to form a new littler.  It would be better if she and her little family could be alone for a little bit, and then you could introduce them to the rest of the family when they are older.

Kitty daddy needs neutering, and once the kittens are older, mama should be spayed.  Keep in mind that daddy cat can produce kittens for a full six weeks after neutering.  As cute as kittens are, there are far too many unwanted ones in this world.  I know you care about your cats and want to be responsible.  Spaying and neutering will also reduce the risk of some hormone-related cancers in both sexes.  It's a win/win for your cats.

laurynwillz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I'm moving soon with my pregnant cat Dahlia and I've bought sentry calming collars to make the move less stressful (don't want her to lose the babies from stress)
Does anyone know if it's safe for her to wear while she's pregnant or nursing?
The package says that it mimics the pheromone that the mother produces to calm her kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not put a collar of any sort on her. Most contain chemicals that are not safe for pregnant and nursing cats.

You can buy a plug-in pheromone diffuser such as Felliway makes, which emits the calming agent into the room.

Is this a local or long-distance move? How far along is your cat?

Last edited:

laurynwillz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll be moving within the city. She'll be within a week of her due date which is why I'm trying to find something to help with stress.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Setting up your bedroom and closing her in there for a couple of days with a plug-in diffuser and her food, water, and litter, while you unpack the rest of the house, should comfort her. Most cats handle a move well as long as the environment (furnishings, smells) remain as familiar as possible.

Another reason I don't like collars is that tiny kittens crawl on mom and can get caught up in them. I had excellent results with the Felliway plug-in diffusers last time I moved.

Let us know how it goes! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

laurynwillz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll be keepin the collars as tight as possible without harming the mother. I'm broke after this move and have no other option. At this point it's either collar or no collar.

What sucks is that I can't even find anything for sentry calming collars.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She'll be fine without a collar at all, and much more comfortable. It's really not wise to use it at this point.

laurynwillz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dahlia gave birth to 2 stillborn kittens. Currently snuggling up beside me refusing to leave my side. It is a very sad day in this household.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. That had to be very heartbreaking to watch. Please have momma cat fixed. If you want a kitten, the shelters are full of them & they are desperate to find them good homes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. You can certainly call around to local shelters and offer to foster newborn orphan kittens, since your cat will have milk. She will probably accept them as her own if you are interested.