Cats Boiled Alive

iluvcandy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hissy, you're right.

If anyone wants to help those cats, it would be a better idea, I think, to donate money to the sisters so they can continue their work, if this really is a legitimate organization.

Jill and Candy

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suppose you are all right. When I was a lot younger I used to be very impetuous, guess I had a relapse.

iluvcandy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cilla -

Who can blame us for being outraged and wanting to help, it's so horrible and inhumane, especially all of us being catlovers. We mean well.

Jill and Candy

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cilla-

I was with you all the way on your idea, but I guess us going there and taking their cats would be like someone coming here and taking our cows.

yoursleeka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll tell you what- it is all very sad, but! I always was for hunter rights- if you kill to feed yourself and your family- that's fine, killing for pleasure- is misarable!
When I lived in Russia I've heard once that people in France eat frog legs, and people in china eat cats and dogs- I was in shockd, but later on I've met one asian person who told me HE WAS in shock when he saw how we're eating ducks, pigs, and even coves!!!! It used to be like people in Russia were hunting for the pleasure- but most of them do not do that now- it is very expensive to get lisence. And you know what- I am very happy to live in US now- not in China, or somewhere else, every person axcepts the way of life he wants and we are not the ones to judge it! Let's try to be happy where we are at- there are soooo many annimals that needs us- not only cats! Come on people- there are even homeless people all over US, so why wouldn't we do something about that? Just live the life you happy with and try to not do any bad things! i am sure God and all people over the world will appreciate it!!!!

spitfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess while there are so many people in that country that have this ingrained in them over many generations it will be hard to eradicate but hopefully, it will stop one day soon. The pictures are most distressing and I cant bear to look at them. But until people stop eating cat/dog meat this will continue. I must say how much I admire people who give up a good life in the civilised countries to hel resuce poor animals like these and then these sadly aer only a drop in the ocean.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first time actually reading this post throughout...

I do not agree at all with the arguments that the US is NOT any different.

We have standards of treatment and healthcare, and humane slaughter. While these standards may not mesh 100% with everyone, they are there to prevent processes that have been proven beyond a doubt to cause unnecessary suffering. These standards are also routinely refined and adjusted, so the US IS definately different.

Spotz

weatherlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, interesting thread. I should have gotten here earlier
Heh, I agree that boiling cats alive is no worse than scalding chickens and hogs alive. Stuff is shitty the world over. And chickens ARE scalded alive in the US; laws on paper have terribly low standards, and even those are NOT enforced. In the end, dead is dead.

I'm a member of KAPS/IAKA, and although I haven't met Kyenan personally, I have met Sunnan. She is a wonderful wonderful person. And she doesn't hate. She helps. She's just one of those people who are so loving, accepting, giving, caring... Ahh just thinking about her I feel like scum :p If you can, please donate to KAPS so they can build their new CARE facility. I think it will do a lot of good. Buying animals at market I don't agree with--it doesn't save the other animals that the purchase will create a demand for--but there are sooo many dogs and especially cats at the KAPS shelter that were surrendered or picked up off the streets, and when I went there, I was told that they turn away 100 animals each month. I really feel bad for those cats, because they don't have the best of lives (better than on the streets, but still), and the shelter is so crowded, diseases spread so fast, they're so underfunded, and ALMOST NO ONE ADOPTS CATS. Generally, Koreans think of small dogs are cute toys, but they think of cats as evil. If you really wanted to adopt a cat from Korea instead your local shelter, it would cost you more for transportation and such, but Sunnan would probably try to get it done. Many of the cats are socialized; it was so sad and great at the same time to see these cats jump on my shoulders or stand up on their hind legs with their forepaws on my legs, asking for attention, and hearing about how fearful they were. No wonder, since their experience with humans up till then would have been rocks. But yes, spending your time at home and helping out KAPS and/or local/national organizations financially would probably be much more effective.

BTW, cat and dog eating may be cultural in China, but it's not a very long tradition, if it as a tradition, in Korea. It's not mainstream, and it only started a few decades ago during the Korean War.

All the people who threaten violence against those who boil cats, and still boil chickens themselves, why not do to yourself first what you threaten against others? No one deserves to be boiled alive, and no one deserves to be the victim of what you threaten. Not yourself, not Korean cat-boilers, not Nazis.

As for lobsters, a lot of restaurants SERVE them alive and conscious. They pull off the tail and stuff, then the lobsters are eating alive and in peices. There are several fish dishes where the fish is openend up and eating alive as well. Suffering is everywhere, and I believe the answer is to do what we can to stop it, not be apathetic.

---

One By Name
By [email protected]

Other customs often appall
self-righteousness blinds us all
We dislike what others eat
our loved pets they call meat

Other customs other places
all that differ are the faces
We point and we judge so quick
calling them cruel and sick

Others may eat cats and dogs
but what of our cows and hogs?
Eaten are the ones we adore
but does that mean pets suffer more?

All suffer til they are dead
and the life's blood is just as red
Do they not die the same
though we only call one by name?

We accept our brutal way
and judge our equals every day
Still we blindly refuse to admit
it differs not whose throat was slit.

Mary Alice Pollard,
Canadian Voice for Animals UK Representative
The Canadian Voice For Animals ~ UK Website:
http://www.canadianvoiceforanimals.org/ukintro.html
Personal Site: Just Nice Photos:
http://justnicephotos.homestead.com/LazerIntro.html

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

That's horrible but it's nothing new. It happens in China as well and not just to dogs and cats. I don't like the fact that dogs and cats are used as food, but I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for the appalling conditions in which they are raised and killed
I think other nations should sanction countries that allow for such brutal animal abuse to take place.
I completely agree with you Anne its not our right to tell people what they can and can not eat...the hindus worship cows (i think its them sorry if that was an ignorant statement)...but we eat steak and such.....but to hang dogs alive and blowtorch them and to boil kitties that is disgusting...I could not bring myself to eat something that dies in such a way.....i wont eat veal for those reasons

Eating for survival is one thing......toururing an animal because it supposidly will contail more aphrodisiacl properties is absolutly revolting....i already wrote the president

peasandcues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't really matter what the history of America is. Your logic makes no sense. Every culture, at some point in time, has exercised cruelty against animals. We still do it today, in the U.S., on factory farms and fur farms. This is why I am a vegan. Get a copy of Peaceable Kingdom (from www.tribeofheart.org). There's a film that will break your heart. Just because this is still happening in the U.S. in NO WAY prevents me or anyone else for castigating the Korean culture--or any culture--for animal abuse. If we followed your logic, silence would reign and no animals would ever be saved.

peasandcues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So what? We shouldn't speak out against what's happening to the animals in Asia? Please.

peasandcues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry. My replies were to the posters who suggested that we have no right to condemn other cultures for brutality against animals when we brutalize them here, as well. Again, we not only have the right, but we have the duty.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I believe every one of us needs to do whatever we can to condemn torture of animals everywhere. Whether it be farm animals in our own countries (and IMO many of them are flat out tortured - ever read about the life of a battery hen?), or animals that we consider to be pets in other nations. Doesn't matter - they all deserve our sympathy and whatever help we can offer. For example, we only eat free range eggs and we don't eat any meat or chicken at home. We visited the largest dairy cows center in Israeli and decided they get a good life there, so we do use dairy products. As for China, I have written to authorities in my country and in China conveying my protest.

I agree that sending someone to buy a few cats and bring them is not very practical. I can see why you really want to do this, Cilla. That it's pure compassion and I appreciate it
However the $1000 or so that it will cost to send the person, can be used to spay and neuter so many cats in the Western world and prevent many generations of future unwanted kittens and cats from living a life of misery caged in shelters and pounds and being put to sleep.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the title attracted me but i could not open the pages because well i will just end up crying my eyes out.
and having night mares

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Cilla I can fly out to Korea for free!
Well S. Korea anyways...
Maybe a little s&r is in order for the next summer when I don't have school to worry about. Problem is I could only house 2 more cats maximum, and thats not a whole lot of cats saved
But your right even one is worth it.

Peasandcues

Later,
Brandon

Ps. I read my earlier comment
I must have been really mad

lilycurly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have seen this on Tv a long time ago, and it is still fresh enough in my mind that I don't have to look at it a second time.
I usualy just try to forget and give my kitties extra love because I just couldn't live with the thought of what is done to those cats everyday.
And yes, I know, things like that are done everywhere, not just in S.Korea. But this is a site about cat lovers, so we should expect to have more outrage from boiling cats...then lobsters.
The worst for me is to see their faces and ear their screams. It's absolutely inhumane. And I can't imagine what kind of heartless person could endure that. For God's sake, I can't even kill a spider without feeling a little guilt!
Whatever people say, cruelty is not acceptable, you want to eat cat? Fine, but why torture them?!! It is just beyond my understanding.
I hope each and every person responsible of animal cruelty will be toroughly punished by whatever superior force there might be.
And the cat Godess Bast will surely have a grand time with those cat boilers in particular.