Cats as support animals legally?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how to get my cats considered support animals so I can have them in an apartment that says they are a no pets apartment? I'm looking to move to a more affordable place, but it seems that the apartments in my price range don't allow pets. Since I am autistic, I think I can easily obtain any verification I would need.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You generally need to get a letter from the metal health doctor that has been treating you stating having a cat is required for you to have to live "normal" life. A lot of places are cracking down on the fake "doctors" that give you letters online and people going to a mental health doctors one time just to get a letter recommending a support animal. So you need to get your actual doctor that has been treating you for at least a year to sign off that you require a cat. As far as I can tell you are not allowed to register more then one but I could be wrong.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah:

My understanding is as long as you have an actual doctor write a note saying your animal is required for your mental well being the apartment will accept it. There may be some push back but the local ADA will usually step in if asked. Support animals are not required to have a pet deposit or pet rental fee BUT you can be evicted if the animal causes damage or there are complaints about noise or smell. It's basically they can't deny you living there but if the animals cause an issue they can kick you out. The logic being that service or support animals should have a certain amount of training otherwise they would be burdensome not helpful to the person. Plus the landlord shouldn't be stuck with the bill if your animal causes permanent damage. Obviously, dogs are more of an issue but worth noting.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
You generally need to get a letter from the metal health doctor that has been treating you stating having a cat is required for you to have to live "normal" life. A lot of places are cracking down on the fake "doctors" that give you letters online and people going to a mental health doctors one time just to get a letter recommending a support animal. So you need to get your actual doctor that has been treating you for at least a year to sign off that you require a cat. As far as I can tell you are not allowed to register more then one but I could be wrong.
I live in NC..and in an apt..n my neighbor had 3 little doggies that were support animals...2 have passed..rest them gently...And the management here says u can have more than one cat or doggy for support animals...But YEA have to have mental health Dr....to verify..n get one of those ESA LETTERS..for the management...But mind u thats here in NC...