"Cats aren't clean, they're just covered in Cat spit."

blackberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope my cat is clean after licking herself, because the idea of giving her a bath is kind of a scary prospect! Like others here have said, the sandpiper tongue is a very effective dirt magnet. Plus, my kitty never smells bad, so surely she can't be dirty.

melmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I let my cat lick my lips lol. Foxxy loves to lick me, she used to start at my nose and work her way up to my forehead, now she just licks which ever part of my face/fingers/hands/feet she can get at lol. And I let her lick milk out of my cup sometimes too, but usually when she steals drinks from my cup, she dips her paw in it and licks it off her paw. I dont drink it then, cuz I just visualize her paws in the litterbox, then in my glass of milk...and that just does it for me

angelwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, they're more clean than dogs! But there is also a lot of bacteria in a cat's mouth. I'm also slightly allergic to them so I also give my kitties regular baths.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the smell of Mackerel. She smells clean, but a little sweet as well. When we cuddle, I love burying my face in her tummy fur. I adore the smell. I don't think she's dirty or covered with spit... she always seems very clean to me!

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

I love the smell of Mackerel. She smells clean, but a little sweet as well. When we cuddle, I love burying my face in her tummy fur. I adore the smell. I don't think she's dirty or covered with spit... she always seems very clean to me!
My kitties smell good, too. Another way to look at it is this: we're actually dirtier than they are, since we're always slathering ourselves with chemicals (cosmetics, soaps, shampoos & conditioners, hair products, shaving creams and aftershaves, deodorants, and the awful stuff that's in dryer sheets winds up in our clothes and on our skin), not to mention the crud that most of us eat.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappilyRetired

Cat "spit" is actually clean! When my first cat was spayed many years ago, I brought her home with instructions from the vet to clean her incision site with alcohol at least once a day. But right after I did it, I'd see her licking the incision. So I phoned the vet in a panic, and she explained that it was perfectly fine for her to lick her incision, since her saliva is antiseptic!

So when cats clean themselves by licking, they are actually cleaning very effectively.
I had read the same thing...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MommysMeows

Look at my cats tongue..

See how effective and well their tongues could and do clean? It's pretty cool.

Sorry if the pictures are too big - I have no time to resize.
Wow!!! Natural washing machines! Pretty impressive pictures

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by davecat

cat tongues are very clean. And their saliva acts in the same way we have deodorant.
Which is why cats smell pretty all the time even if they havent had a bath.
She must have defective saliva cause she is pretty stinky... I have to bathe her every few weeks or my housemates refuse to let her inside!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Traveler5

Just how clean are cats -- really?
IMO I don't really think they are that clean, being heavily covered in their saliva and walking around several times daily in the litterbox having litter in their paws
But mine gets a bath every week to be a pretty kitty, being a Sphynx

Some people say their saliva is clean, but if you get bitten by a cat, you could have blood poisoning.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Some people say their saliva is clean, but if you get bitten by a cat, you could have blood poisoning.
That's because of bacteria... which don't live well in outside air...

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

some people say their saliva is clean, but if you get bitten by a cat, you could have blood poisoning.
Getting bit by a human is so much worse as far as bacterial infections. The thing about animals is that it is a deep wound with the canine teeth they have. That may cause infection but it is easily treatable with common antibiotics in most cases.

I am a clinical microbiologist and I would rather my cat bite me than my husband.
But by now I would think him. me and the cats share the same bacteria and antibodies.

PS that is a beautiful cat tongue.