Cat's appetite on Baytril

olivia520

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm a first time cat owner (although my family has owned them my whole life, so I know a bit of what I am doing). I'm looking for a little advice concerning my kitty's appetite.

I recently adopted a one-year old kitty from my local shelter two weeks ago. When I adopted her, she was suffering from a minor upper respiratory infection and had finished a course of antibiotics, but was still on an antihistamine. About a week after I got her, I took her to the vet for a post-shelter visit. The vet said she was underweight by about a pound and then put her on another course of antibiotics (Baytril) to try and resolve the remainder of her infection. I've been trying to put some weight on her since then (she weighs about 6 pounds) and she's been pretty good about eating- she normally gets 1/4 to 1/3 cup of dry food in the morning and a quarter of a big can of wet food in the evening (this diet has been approved by my vet). Yesterday, she ate most of her crunchies throughout the day and at night I fed her wet food and she inhaled it- she ate all of it in one sitting, which never happens (normally she'll eat 3/4 and then come back to it a few hours later). Today, however, she doesn't seem all that interested in her dry food. She's had some water and has been behaving normally (washing, purring when I pet her, etc.) although has been a little skittish (but I would think this is kind of normal considering I've only had her for 2 weeks and she is still getting used to me and my schedule). I tossed her a few treats earlier and she ate them right up.

My question is: is she getting bored of dry food? Is the Baytril potentially upsetting her stomach? Should I take her into the vet next week and have her checked out? Thanks in advance for the advice, everyone!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect it is the antibiotic that is causing this.  My guy was a hoover but a few days on antibiotics and he lost all interest in food. A few days after he went off of them he returned to his regular piggy self.

Thank you for giving her a loving home. Keep us in the know as to how she is doing 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivia520

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! I kind of figured as such. She's been very active today (actually the first time she's played with me since I brought her home- over 20 minutes with the laser pointer). I put some wet food out for her and she's been eating it bit by bit, so at least she is eating something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivia520

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry- just seeing this! She's finished the antibiotic and she's eating like a machine. So all good now. Thanks for checking in.