Cats and secondhand marijuana smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here we go. You might wanna sit down for this. I've smoked weed for a good 2 years now. Not once did my cats bother me when i smoke (2 cats both male) since my mom passed away in January I've slowly noticed them rub on my leg everytime i smoked. I didn't think much of it until they'd start to meow so i decided to start blowing smoke their way and they would embrace it. Maybe they know something we don't?

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If humans can get "contact highs" from 2nd hand smoke,I don't see why animals wouldn't. My late brother smoked for over 35 years & had both canines & felines also. He wouldn't blow it in their faces which is really stupid to do but just being in the same room with him, I swear the dogs seemed to chill out almost right away. But the cats would (majority of them) seem to get a short burst of energy or rather goofiness & then got mellow after!

Last edited:

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
by the way , I'm very sorry that your parents didn't help out

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless your cat has lung issues or asthma, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Especially if the window was open and you have good air-flow in the room.

I have some friends who live in a small apartment, have 2 cats and smoke pot pretty much daily. The cats have had no problems in the past 10+ years I have known them. And trust me they talk to me about their cats ALL THE TIME haha.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As with our lungs we can't see the damage, I had 2 finches die just with the mild lingering smell of a cigar - winter to cold to air out the room, both finches perished. Dope smoke anything smoke not healthy for animals they all deserve fresh air.

Last edited:

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So, I would never try to "smoke my cat up" or purposely get her high. I would be too worried about her. Would smoking around a cat (with windows open and plenty of fans on) be just as harmful? Can cats get high or be affected by being in the same room as the smoke?

I'm in a bit of a bind--just moved out of parents house, they started starving the cat, I found a place for her to stay for a couple months with cat lovers--unfortunately I couldn't take her with me because I'm staying with my boyfriend while saving up for an apartment, and his family is allergic. Now the people who were watching her are moving in a month, so my boyfriend's mom suggested we try having the cat stay in my boyfriend's room to see if anyone still gets allergic reactions.

The catch is, the room she'd be confined to is the same room the smoke would be in. Would this be unhealthy for her, even if just for 3 weeks? Is it better to find a different place for my cat?
I would just like to say this - I applaud you for caring enough about your kitty to even ask this question.  It may not be the best environment for her, it may have no impact on her at all, especially if only for three weeks.  I don't know, and I do NOT judge.  But I know love when I see it, and that's what I see here.  She's a lucky baby to have you.  Hugs, sweet girl, and wishing you both the very best life has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.