Cats and raw eggs?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

Weird occurrence: The other day, I gave some raw chicken to my cats. Both mom and dad sniffed at it and had absolutely no idea what it was, and just stood there, meowing in curiosity. They would not even lick it. The kittens, however, dove right in and scarfed it all between the 3 of them. Neither mom or dad had any clue what the chicken was, and they both were rescued strays (mom @ 4-6 weeks, though, but dad was considerably older when we took him in (about 6 or so months). The kittens have been indoor cats from the day they were born.
I've tried to give Jamie raw meat (e.g.,organic beef filet) a couple of times, and he has the same reaction. He won't eat the mice he catches, either.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time I gave my dog raw steak, he looked at it, sniffed it, then looked at me like I was insane.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When i started feeding raw i tried several meats and the only one he likes is rabbit, that's what he gets everyday now, rabbit/bones with supplements, they get very picky even with raw food, mine eats 1/4 lb. of raw a day in three feedings and 1/4 cup of dry in the afternoon.

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HUNTER

My homemade raw food recipe calls for raw egg yolk and i didn't really use it in the mixture up until yesterday and my cat really loves it, is raw egg yolk one of cat's favorite food?
Raw eggs are not good for cats. You should boil water and take it of the stove. Drop the egg and let it sit there for 5 minutes. The egg want be fully cooked but the bacteria would be gone. Also giving eggs on a regular basis is not good. Egg yolks are a very hard food for liver to process. That's just my advice. I'm not trying to say that this is what you should do.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess opinion is divided on this one. My vet recommended egg yolk beaten into goat milk for sick kittens (no kitten food/milk available here). Both Dushka and Persil thrived on that mixture when they couldn't take anything else.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This goes against my understanding of egg yolk and it's value to cats. click here and scroll down to the section on egg yolk

I don't believe if it were difficult for a cats liver to process, that this would be a key component of kitten glop used for orphaned or ailling kittens?

Can you give a link to an article that in discussing egg yolk and cats discusses their liver not being able to handle this - I would appreciate your noting it here so I could go read it.

Thanks!

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just stated my opinion and underlined that it was my opinion. I did not read an article online I have been told by a variety of people (from vets to my friends) that egg yolks aren't easily processed by liver. I will never post my opinion again. Sorry.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatieLV

I just stated my opinion and underlined that it was my opinion. I did not read an article online I have been told by a variety of people (from vets to my friends) that egg yolks aren't easily processed by liver. I will never post my opinion again. Sorry.
Katie...this is how I learn..I read articles, so I can then share that back when answering a question. I know it was your opinion, I wanted to know what was behind it (I truly am that curious). I did not mean to offend you!

Sincerely,

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Katie...this is how I learn..I read articles, so I can then share that back when answering a question. I know it was your opinion, I wanted to know what was behind it (I truly am that curious). I did not mean to offend you!

Sincerely,
I was debating whether to post my opinion and my information that I have gathered. I did not say not to feed egg yolks, they have great effects on cats. Just not to feed it every day. I give eggs to my babies once or twice a month. And egg white once a week. My family cat who's going to be 16 this year has the same egg diet that I'm talking about and she has the most gorgeous coat. I didn't get offended. A lot of posts that I read I disagree on but I don't state my opinion not to confuse people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although my recipe calls for raw egg yolk, i only use one raw egg yolk mix with 1-1/2 lb. of raw meat and that last 10 days, so one raw egg yolk in 10 days, that's almost nothing, my point is, maybe eating too much of it in one day is not good.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

Weird occurrence: The other day, I gave some raw chicken to my cats. Both mom and dad sniffed at it and had absolutely no idea what it was, and just stood there, meowing in curiosity. They would not even lick it. The kittens, however, dove right in and scarfed it all between the 3 of them. Neither mom or dad had any clue what the chicken was, and they both were rescued strays (mom @ 4-6 weeks, though, but dad was considerably older when we took him in (about 6 or so months). The kittens have been indoor cats from the day they were born.
The reason why is because when cats are kittens they are taught what is a source of food. If your adult cats were fed cat food as kittens they became fixated on it as adults because they only reconize cat food as a food source and not raw meat. The reason your kittens took to it so well is because they are still learning what is food and what is not.