Cats and pools

meruumeruu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we got our cats last summer, they gave the pool a very wide berth. They wouldn't get within two feet of it. But we covered it for the winter and they liked running across the cover and playing on it. Eventually they couldn't do that as much because rainwater raised the water level in the pool and there were puddles all over it, but they still crossed around the edges. Now, we've taken the pool cover off, and I was hoping they would avoid it but they're getting right up to the edge to drink the water. Of course, the water right now is filthy so that's a concern, and also I'm afraid they'll fall in and drown. I'm not worried about the pool once we clean it though, because it's a saltwater pool. But I'm still worried about them falling in and drowning. They're about a year old, but I don't know if they can swim on instinct or not. We also have a pool cleaning bot, so even if they could swim I still worry about them getting tangled in its hose. What should I do?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well they can swim if they do fall in, IF there is an edge they can grab ahold of to pull themselves out, otherwise they will tire out and be so exhausted they would eventually drown.

In other words, if for example the pool water level is down 2 feet below the edge, they would not have anything to pull themselves out on, they would be clawing at the sides of the pool but never getting any real grip to get out with.

I suggest covering the pool until it can be cleaned out.

That water will be loaded with algae and whatever else, and I wouldn't think that can possibly be good for them.