cats and plastic?

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weird, but...

Teddy likes to chew plastic. We found this out a few months ago, and have been absolutely dilligent and vigilant about keeping any and all plastic out of his reach. In particular, he chews plastic bags. We left a bag of PJ's treats out on a table - and Teddy never jumps on tables - but we found teeth marks and holes in the bag - so that's gone too.

Does anyone else's cat chew plastic, and if so, does your cat get sick? We've noticed that it makes Teddy throw up. He has no interest in chewing anything else but food.

Just curious... it's an interesting cat fetish or something!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is difficult but try and keep all plastic material away from Teddy. The plastic can cause real problems internally depending on how much is swallowed. Often in making plastics, animal renderings are used and thus the attractant.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah Ha! I've often wondered why Sadie likes to lick plastic plastic piping & Dexter loves to bite through plastic bags.
I have to keep all plastic bags where Dexter cannot get to them.
I did not know that animal renderings were used in making plastic.
That might explain this odd behavior.

Originally Posted by hissy

Often in making plastics, animal renderings are used and thus the attractant.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have noticed that Sophie will chew on plastic as well. We're very careful to keep all plastic grocery bags out of her reach. She'll also chew paper. Basically, right now Sophie will chew anything she can get her little teeth on!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recycle the plastic bags I get at the grocery store and use them to line my small waste baskets. Charlotte has a passion for licking them but never has chewed on them. Fortunately, Izzie could care less about licking plastic bags.

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! My Caroline licks anything plastic she can find! Especially bread bags, grocery bags, toilet paper package...Everything! She never tries to eat it(she is a very selective eater!) but she will lick it for hours! We all just ask her if it's good...never have figured out why she does this! But when I hear that usual sound it makes when she's licking I know she's found something else!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

It is difficult but try and keep all plastic material away from Teddy. The plastic can cause real problems internally depending on how much is swallowed. Often in making plastics, animal renderings are used and thus the attractant.
oh, we are militant about it... it's crazy... I go after people who come and visit if they bring any kind of plastic - it immediately goes into a drawer/closet/cabinet/whatever.

I was just curious about what the attractant was!