Cats and music?

sugar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

So my little Kero, is the most hyper kitten i've ever had, he's about 4 months now. He gets CRAZY, and the only thing that calms him down is music. He will sit, and lay next to my computer speakers, chirp along, and begin to purr. Of course I think this has something to do with his up bringing. When he was just a tiny thing, JUST weined from his mother, we would listen to music, and notice he falls right to sleep, or hisses along playfully. My little man has a huge personality, and I can't get enough.  What do you think?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so sweet! He's possibly also reacting to the vibrations from the speakers, which might be similar to mum purring. Either way, keep that music playing!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen classical music CDs produced especially for cats, believe it or not. My husband plays guitar (mainly classical and flamenco, but also rock) and piano, and Jamie loves his "personal concerts". When he was younger he would sit on my husband's lap and "help" him play piano, and it was a big thrill for him when he could run up and down the keyboard and "create his own music".

Music for Cats and Friends

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are several classical CDs produced for their calming effect on animals.  One of the most successful is harp music, Harp of Hope.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I listen to a lot of classic blues and classic c&w and the cats seem to like it. This afternoon's fare was an Ian Tyson special on Bold TV and I had roughly 45 pounds of cats heaped on me, all purring madly. They also seem to like when I play the keyboards some evenings.

annie_belle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Over the years we have had classically raised pets...my favorite memory was playing classical music out in the "goat" yard!  Two things I have taken notice of regarding music played for our cats...I tend to shy away from opera...twice I have seen two different cats, at different times, become very aggitated when hearing those high pitched voices.

The only harp music I have is from a Christmas CD, but when I play it, my Siamese, Britches, really relaxes.  My 2nd favorite CD (for both my cat and myself) is called Bach for the Bath...I have a CD player in the guest room/Britches room and whenever we are going out for errands, when we have company or if it's going to be noisy outside (lawn mower, thunder, etc.) I play the classical music to have as a "buffer" if Britches feels the need to seek out extra comfort.

Though it seems odd, the best volume setting is to where we can barely hear the music...At that level it means it's just perfect for our felines!

mrsbrak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats do love music! I had a precious tuxedo cat who loved when I played Beethoven's Adagio movement from the Pathetique Sonata. He was very specific in his love for that piece. He'd even sing along sometimes. Man, I miss that cat.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Music can have affect on everyone. I had a dog who hated Violins though. Ran around like they hurt his ears. We didn't play anything with those as the front instrament.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sugar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats so cool, I didn't know they liked harp, ill look into it.
I mainly play The doors, he loves Jim ! 
thanks for all the replies ! 

menstormpumpkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a classical musician, and I do believe that cats react to music.  We often play classical music for our cats and it seems to help them relax.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a musician and I know when we used to have practice sessions back at our place, as long as the drummer didn't come, my old cat Harley used to love to hang out in the room with everyone. I figured he'd run and hide from the noise but he liked to hang out during our jam sessions. However, as soon as somebody touched a percussion instrument he'd be outta there lol.

In my opinion, he liked the bass notes the best. SO i could see cats maybe liking something with cello, bassoon or bass guitar in it but somebody else will have to verify this for me!~