cats and marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddy1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well yeah as many people have said, of course it would be wrong to force your cat to inhale marijuana smoke, but the question intended to ask whether it would be a safe thing to do if and only if it was something the cat enjoys. I mean yeah I think it would be sick to put a cat in a bag and blow smoke, especially considering they are more sensitive and would probably recieve an overwhelming amount of the drug. But If it was harmless physically I wouldn't see it as being wrong to blow some smoke over to the cat, if they didn't like it you would know because they would remove themselves from the offending stimuli by walking away, and at that point you would say ok he doesnt like it ill leave it alone. if he enjoyed it then cool, as long as its not bad for him.

as for the smoke being unhealthy, in the amounts we are talking about here i doubt there would be any risk of damage whatsoever. I mean people that smoke cigarettes and have cats probably subject them to a dangerous amount of smoke on a daily basis, but with marijuana it would be like 1 or 2 clouds of smoke every so often, not much worse than God knows what they put in that cat food.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any amount of smoke is harmful, whether it is one puff or whether it's caused from a forest fire. Second hand smoke whether it be from cigarettes or marijuana is harmful and it's ludricous to suggest otherwise. In addition to that I do not appreciate the view that marjiuana smoke is only slightly harmful than cat food.

The smoke is not safe period. And if anyone was to do that to any animal intentionally, they are not fit to own any animal.

And here is a site talking about the toxicity of marijuana and some details of what is done when an animal is showing signs of intoxication. Note, that they do not say high.

Marijuana Toxicity

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddy1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah the comparison to cat food was erroneous i guess, the 2 cannot be compared. Thank you for the link.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Logically if you love your cat, you will it do no harm. Blowing pot smoke on your cat or towards your cat is not a wise thing to do. But then if you are a loadie, it really won't matter what anyone says here on the bulletin board, because you will do whatever you want to do in the high of the minute and just think it incredibly funny or cool.

ryelee's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope I am not being an ass here but are you looking for real opinions on this or are you trolling???

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, if anyone smokes with a cat in the house it would inhale the smoke either way. Blowing directly into the face of the cat of course give it a dose quicker. I can't really say anything on the subject, my cat has been around when it is being smoked, but to say he enjoys it I cannot say.

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear what a can of worms was opened there! anyway heres my twopeneth worth. I am a smoker (of cigarettes- I know, I know disgusting habit and all that!) but that issue aside. I have smoked pot on the odd occassion but I have to be honest and say it just makes me go to sleep and how much fun is that. Anyway a while ago when my Tulip was a kitten (she who is now 17/18) had pot smoke blown into her face by some sadistic 'boyfriend' of the day. She backed right up and choked a bit but was not actually harmed as far as I could see. I went totally ballistic. To this day if I or anyone goes near her with smoke or if she smells any smoke she zooms off! As an adult I have choices and make informed decisions, I hope, but I try not to inflict my choices onto another without them having the facts first (with some very obvious exceptions i.e. car fumes) and as far as I know my cats cant read.
In conclusion you dont know what effect this smoke will have on the cat anymore than you know the reaction of a human. Be prepared for high vet bills if it goes wrong!
I think you are right to err on the side of caution buddy1234 - let us know about the Valerian - i'd be interested in the results as not all mine care for catnip

yola

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would echo what Susan says. We take charge of whether we wish to inflict poison onto or into our bodies - I used to smoke 20-30 cigarettes a day.

However, I now feel very bad for having smoked in close proximity to my cats and them not being able to voice their objections.

Whether it's dope smoke or cigarette smoke, either is unpleasant and unhealthy. Cats do suffer from respiratory problems as well as humans - I think we owe it to our pets to take the best possible care we can of them.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marijuana and catnip are 2 different things. I do not know if marijuana is harmful to a cat or not, but it really doesn't matter, because it is illegal here. This may not be an IMO forum, but it doesn't matter, because I am going to state what I think. Anyone who would blow smoke into a cats face is a total loser. If you like to inhale toxic smoke, whether marijuana or just plain cigarettes, that is your option. But do not lower the cats standard of life to yours. A cats sense of smell is a lot better than ours. You mentioned something about cats liking catnip. Well, cats get crazy by smelling the catnip, not smoking it. So, if you think that blowing marijuana smoke into a cats face is fine, why don't you go smoke some catnip and see what it does to you. Some people want to know why the government will not make marijuana legal. I know the answer, some people are just to dumb already. Of course, this is my opinion.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by buddy1234
if they didn't like it you would know because they would remove themselves from the offending stimuli by walking away, and at that point you would say ok he doesnt like it ill leave it alone. if he enjoyed it then cool, as long as its not bad for him.

as for the smoke being unhealthy, in the amounts we are talking about here i doubt there would be any risk of damage whatsoever. I mean people that smoke cigarettes and have cats probably subject them to a dangerous amount of smoke on a daily basis, but with marijuana it would be like 1 or 2 clouds of smoke every so often, not much worse than God knows what they put in that cat food.
Hmmm, as for the first part of this. We humans, who are supposed to be the superior creatures with the large brains and all, know that smoking is bad, but continue to do so. Not I, you would never catch me with a cigarette in my mouth and I hardly visit my family because they smoke. But a cat does not know that smoke IS bad, so even if you THINK they like it, why do it?
As for the second part, ANY amount of smoke is BAD!! My mom smoked, one of her cats died of lung cancer at the age of 9. My mom, of course, is no longer here either. She died at the age of 63. Oh, I did mention she smoked...right?

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Second hand smoke of any kind is bad for any creature. You wouldn't smoke pot around your children, why around your cat? I will admit again I have had Emmett around when the pot is being smoked. None of my friends, nor I have ever directly blown it into his face. I can tell by his reaction to it when it is "sparked" that he isn't too impressed. Now living at home, I still tend to toke a few puffs now and then, of couse having the insence buring and everything.

So the question comes up....its the smell of insence back for the kitties? I mean some of those scents are pretty strong. I keep my window open when I have it buring, but it still fills the air, and when I'm in my bedroom Em is there with me.

But this thread is about smoking. I don't agree with tabacco smoking at all especialy around non smokers or children or even pets. So if you wanna smoke pot or tabacco and you have an indoor cat, just step outside.

When I was living on my own I had a wood burning fireplace and Em had a strange cough. The vet said it was probably from that. Now that I no longer live at the place with the fireplace Em doesn't have his little cough anymore.

Ok. Am I rambling. I'm sorry.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Interesting discussion but I think it no longer belongs in the health forum. I think the issue of whether or not blowing pot smoke into your cat's face is either dangerous and/or fun for the cats has been dealt with to the best of our abilities.

This has now turned into a discussion that is more of a moral nature, not about health per se. I am closing this thread now. If anyone wants to pick up the discussion of whether it is moral to smoke pot or anything else next to your cat - please open a new thread about it in the IMO forum where it belongs.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.