Cats and house plants

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure what forum I should post this I but I’m wondering if basil plants are bad for cats if they eat them..I have some basil plants outside (in pots) and I’m wondering if it would be safe if I brought them in as a house plant. Although maybe the cats won’t even like the smell and keep away from them….. Would it be safe for my cats?

thank you in advance

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Basil should be safe around your kitties…although it may not be safe from your kitties. :) They could get upset stomachs if they eat a lot of it, but it’s not poisonous.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Basil should be safe around your kitties…although it may not be safe from your kitties. :) They could get upset stomachs if they eat a lot of it, but it’s not poisonous.

:yeah:

Basil and most other common culinary herbs are safe if ingested by a cat. I'd keep the pots out of reach from the cats if possible. If the cats do show interest in eating the plants, a pot of cat grass or catnip may satisfy their curiosity safely.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's funny you mentioned this, because I just went outside to harvest some basil, and Tiny wanted to sniff my fingers like she always does when I've been outside. She made the funniest face like, "Yuck!". I don't think my basil would be in danger from her. :lol:

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have found this to be helpful:

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha! Same here on the yuck! Harvested the last of my basil this past weekend to make basil pesto. We have had way too much rain lately so it has turned to mush. 😥 Buddy cat took one sniff and made a big big yuck face.