Cats and Hardwood Floors

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have laminated wood flooring in my lounge.
Kitty likes to sleep on the rug and he has an off-cut of the hall carpet by the radiator.
When we first moved in and he was playing in there he used to skid around and crash into the furniture
but now he just skids about and avoids it and has a great time!
He goes crazy if you pull the rug along while he sits on it! He pounces on it, jumps on and off and generally goes in to one of his 'mental 5 minutes'.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's only one room in the house that's carpeted (my brother's room), so the floors are either laminated or hardwood. I don't notice anybody sleeping on the bare floor, except Willow, and that's only after she's been dashing around (she always plunks over right by the dining room table, and always in the exact same spot). Then she pants for a bit and then gets up and lies on the closest rug, unless one of the kitties decides to ambush her while she's "recovering" on the hardwood, then another dash is required, lol

I must add that nobody gets any traction on the floors either. Willow gets the worst of it, she has fuzzy little feet, so if you hear a cat chase going on, and you hear a steady thumping of a body crashing into the walls, you know Willow's part of the chase, lol. Poor girl actually runs in place like in cartoons before the momentum starts her body going forward. And she can't brake, she'll stop all her legs but she'll crash anyways.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties loooove to slide on the hardwoods. Especially Stanley because he has fur between his toes. The funniest part is when they slide into a wall, shake it off, and then look at me like "what? nothing happened. Let us never speak of it again..."

I have also noticed that they prefer to sleep on the furnature or radiators. I have seen them lie down on the cool floor after a good radiator nap. The area rugs are only slept on if they contain a suitable sunbeam

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our entire home is either hardwood or slate flooring. We've never had a problem with Sadie (although she is kinda funny to watch as skids around the corners when she's doing her kitty laps). One great reason for hardwood is the fact that it keeps Sadie's nails short so I only have to trim her nails about once a month. While she loves the hardwood in the summer (because it is cool I suppose), her favorite place to sit/sleep is on her carpeted scratch post.

firebirdmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
look forward to the famous chase down the hall, then the thump thump into the closed door it sounds funny as H*** I also suggest beds, or get used to them on the furniture...Mike, Medford, Ore

catgal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have hardwood floors in the living room and the kitchen. We heat with firewood so our floors are warm in the winter. The cats don't mind it at all but they do prefer the area rugs and the furniture as sleeping sites.
But be warned, if their claws aren't clipped be prepared for alot of scratches. Our floor is really scratched from all the chasing, running and trying to slow down to turn a corner. Let's just say, it adds a special character to the floor. We don't even bother to have it redone because it'll only get scratched again.