Cats and Halloween

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

DIL also once used a bit of frontier justice to stop a local guy, who was deliberately running over cats with his car, and laughing about it. The neighbors were too scared to confront this jerk, who was known to be violent in other ways, and a drunk. He actually was bragging about the cats, and hurting dogs. DIL heard about it, and paid him a little visit, shotgun in hand, and told him in no uncertain terms what would happen, if he did it again. He didn't do it again! Love my DIL for this, and many other reasons.
Good for her!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Good for her!
Oops--isn't the abbreviation for Dad-in-Law DIL?
That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I thought it was "daughter-in-law", and f-i-l was for "father-in-law". No matter!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't believe that people would adopt a cat just for Halloween - what must some people be thinking

Full marks to the US shelters for taking such a responsible approach, as another UK poster said, I'm so glad that Halloween isn't such a big deal over here.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear so many shelters take precautions on adoptions this time of year. I don't know if ours does, but I think I'll send them a nice e-mail and ask!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I live in Germany, and 20 or 25 years ago, the holiday was virtually unknown. It has caught on here, though, probably due to the "Halloween" horror film series, and we do get "trick or treaters", perhaps because many neighbors know I'm American.
The only reason my cousins know about Halloween and trick-or-treating is due to the military families that were in housing right across the street from them. It has caught on in their area for the last 10-15 years even though most of the bases are now closed down in Germany.

That's just awful about adopting cats out around Halloween. I think around here we have even had kids brutally abuse and kill the poor cats. It just makes me so mad. I always wish that what they have done to an animal could be done to them. They will never learn any other way.