Cats and dog hate each other still!

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had my dog for a year now and the cats and him still can't get along most of the time! The dog chases the cats, he gets scratched and doesn't seem to care, I call him back to me and tell him to leave the cat alone. The cats or at least one will chase the dog hiss at him and corner him (and the dog is a 72lb lab!) The cats have a room gated off that the dog can't get into but they were here first and think they rule the house. I really thought after a year they would be able to live with each other. The dog knows "leave it" and I tell him "good boy" when he listens but he just doesn't seem to get it when it comes to the cats. Then when the dog is actually being good the cats start bothering him!

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the dog being rewarded with anything more than the "good boy" for leaving the cats alone? If not the cue isn't being reinforced and chasing the cats becomes more rewarding to him than listening to you. Make sure he's getting treats and loves for listening, even if it's just every once in a while.

If the cats are initiating some of the contact as well it may be play, at least partially. Plenty of cats and dogs play well together and it's not unusual for cats to scratch their playmates. Do the cats seem distressed when he chases them or do they seem like they're playing a game? Do they have their ears flattened back or down, tails puffed up, or go straight to the area where the dog can't get to them, or are their ears forward, more relaxed, or run around like they're leading the dog? Do they hiss and growl and swat at the dog if he corners them, or pounce on him or try to get around him to run some more? Chase is a favorite game of cats and dogs both if all the players know how to play politely and not go overboard. If they're playing I'd leave them to it, with of course enough supervising to make sure your dog doesn't hurt them, being so much bigger than a cat. If it does seem like it's more aggressive try separating and re-introducing them, or desensitizing or socializing your dog to cats. If he's never had cats around before this or has had bad experiences with cats he may need some work to live peacefully with them. If you think this is the problem I can explain how to work on it with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No we got the dog when he was 8 weeks and I'm pretty sure the breeder had cats. He doesn't get rewards for following his commands anymore because he knows them and he can't have treats everytime he does something for me. The cat will be right next to the gated room and growl at my dog for walking past, or even laying in the hall. My other car isn't so bad he lets the dog lick his butt most of the time till the dog tries to chew on him then he will run off.