Cats and Collars

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mike_SK

My cat is an indoor guy but I decided that just in case he gets out he should wear a collar with his license and contact info on it. He's also pretty small and new to the place so he wears a bell. Does anyone else put a collar on their indoor cat?

My childhood cats wore/wear collars but they were indoor/outdoor guys (town of 700 people). Am I being weird about this?
You are not weird, it is your preference. In my case both my cats are both microchipped even though not allowed outside. Besides, my Granny used to say "if God had meant for cats to wear collars, they would be born with them".

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine are indoor/outdoor, but even if we were in a situation where they needed to be kept in, they would wear collars. If anything, I think it's more important for indoor kitties to have visible ID, because if they do get out they are in need of all the help they can get to find their way home.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine dont wear them anymore.
Coco has always got rashes with every one I tried.
Meeko goes nuts and takes them off.
I might try to put them on the others again.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Butzie is an indoor/outdoor cat because she came to us that way. I am having ever increasing luck with making her an indoor kitty, especially as it has been getting colder and we are getting rain.

Even if Butzie were to become a total indoor kitty, she still needs to wear a collar. No ifs, ands or buts. Accidents happen.

Besides, I buy her really cute collars.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats (strictly indoors) wear collars. I don't like the idea of hanging tags that can get caught and Roxy the Maine Coon tends to pull off the collars by grabbing the tags, so I use the type of tags that are like a nameplate from Boomerang Tags (called Collartags). That way there is nothing hanging to get caught. I recently bought my two youngest cats collars from Ragtime Collars which have my phone number embroidered on them.
Oh yeah, they're also microchipped.

sillylilykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lily has a collar but I dont keep it on her in the house. I only put it on her occasionally, it is mostly for when I bring her to friends houses. Because she goes to other peoples houses to be cat sitted when I have to go somewhere. It's a breakaway collar that has a little stretchy rubber band (no plastic clips, I dont like those kind).

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I recently bought my two youngest cats collars from Ragtime Collars which have my phone number embroidered on them.
That is a really good idea!! I might do that!! Thanks!