Cats and Cannabis

rogueangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ROFL I just think it's funny everyone always says the "roommate" smoked it LOL (not that I don't believe it, but I wonder) :p

I don't smoke it, but since smoke in general is bad for the lungs, I can't see marijuana smoke being any less bad for you - human or cat. I wonder what a vet would say, I would just assume any type of smoke would be bad, plus depressing the central nervous system unnaturally might not be good for something that has such a smaller body than ours, if it's taking in a similar amount of the drug as the user.

As for it being a treat like catnip, I just can't see giving it voluntarily to a cat when there are so many other options for treats. Have you taken him to the vet since he "started using?" LOL I wonder if because he did not have medical treatment early on and with the accident, he may be more vulnerable to bad side effects than other cats. Any thoughts?

I'd have to say this is the first time I've seen this topic on a cat site lol - here's one for the books.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Posted by DanceMuse

If you're worried about secondhand smoke, can you eat the cannabis instead? (I've never consumed it in any way, so I don't know what does what). An old friend used to make "pot butter" and use it on pasta and other stuff. Just a thought.
I could do that, but it takes awhile to do it properly and stinks up the house in the process. Plus I would still have alot of plant materal left over that I'd have to get rid of (just putting it outside doesn't work as I let the cat go out there).

I think getting a vaporizer is going to be my best option at this point (should have done it along time ago for my own good anyway). It works by heating the bud up to the point that the thc is released in vapor form (the plant materal doesn't burn). That means little to no tar and it is much easier on the lungs (although it still probbly not good for you, but it's alot better than smoking
)

Does anyone's cat watch tv? Otep loves Family Guy for some reason, durring commercials he goes to the litter box or gets a drink of water. He acts almost human sometimes

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

While you are imbibing in your pleasure to take away your pain, give your cat his own pile of organic plant material called catnip. That way, you both can get high, and both can stay safe-
i think this is very sound advice, i have never taken any drugs other than prescription in my life but then again, i was raised in a strict home and am a baptist
i really don't think it is a good idea for cats to sniff marijuana smoke, a few people have said it is harmless and others say it isn't, in the end, is is worth the risk of long term damage? i wouldn't take the risk with my kits, i love them too much

They do have a good supply of catnip though, i grow it and bonnie usually gets all dopey or acts like a kitten, pandy...well, she just gets soooo hypo

love,

felicia

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if I don't leave the tv on while I am out, my cats tear the house up. Scooter likes to watch the NASCAR races. He will sit for the whole thing and watch. I may have to make him stop, I think he may be a Jeff Gordon fan.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This doesn't have anything to do with your question, but I think it's great that your cat watches Family Guy

I have never heard of anyone making pot butter before. Pasta sauce made with pot? That made me laugh pretty hard. Brownies and cookies I've heard of, even hemp seed oil.. but pot butter is a new one for me.

dancemuse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

I have never heard of anyone making pot butter before. Pasta sauce made with pot? That made me laugh pretty hard. Brownies and cookies I've heard of, even hemp seed oil.. but pot butter is a new one for me.
Yeah, he was an interesting guy. He was actually really into cooking, so he liked doing things like making compound butters. He was also a singer, so he didn't smoke in order to protect his vocal cords.

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Yeah, if I don't leave the tv on while I am out, my cats tear the house up. Scooter likes to watch the NASCAR races. He will sit for the whole thing and watch. I may have to make him stop, I think he may be a Jeff Gordon fan.
Tank would sit with my husband and watch NASCAR. He loved it!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, the vaporizer is MUCH healthier than to smoke it, although, I will add, for those of whom have not been educated in it.. Because so much less pot is imbibed than what an average cigarette smoker will smoke, it is less bad for you than tobacco.

Also, I'm a great supporter of medical Marijuana, as a considerable amount of diseases are shown to react to the THC, or how the body itself reacts, and it does less harm in the long run than most of the medicines perscribed to those people. It raises appetites and eases pain, beyond what most of the terrible opiate drugs can do, and most people that use marijuana medically don't do so to "get high" and are more functional than they were on the battallion of livver eroding medicines approved by the FDA.

I think it would be nice though, to grow some catnip for otep in your grow room, so that he can have some fun.

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Marijuana isn't highly toxic, but it your cat is deffinately much better off without it! IMHO, you should smoke in a different room from yout cat... what you do is your business, but your pets shouldn't have to suffer for it.
Here's a link on the subject... Illicit Drug Exposure

P.S. Just a warning to cigarette smokers, nicotine is toxic to pets.... Nicotine Toxicity.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read somewhere a long time ago that catnip effects the same neurologic centers of a cat's brain that pot affects in humans. I haven't seen confirmation on that article but it makes sense to me.

I adopted an adult female tortie (about 25 years ago) from my brother's co-worker. They had 3 cats and this girl didn't get along with the others. All were very high strung cats. Turns out that this person used to lock the cats up in a carrier, cover it with a towel and blow pot smoke into the cage until they were stoned. It was actually true and one of the reasons I adopted her - to get her away from that environment. I can't tell you if it was the pot smoke that whacked her out, but she was the oddest cat that I have ever lived with. They called her "Hyper" and I would say she was properly named.

I vote to give your cat catnip. Pawbreakers work absolute wonders! http://www.pawbreakers.com/