Cats and cannabis (marijuana)

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a late friend who was a cancer patient, who endured many bouts of chemotherapy, he claimed, with the help of cannabis he obtained under a prescription as permitted by California law. (California has recently legalized cannabis for "recreational" use as well.)

I honestly, desperately hope I never have to find out for myself about cannabis and chemo.

My friend was concerned that his cats (he had three) might suffer from eating or exposure to the smoke. So he took pills. I know other people who took a much more cavalier attitude and they didn't report anything.

Dogs seem to have much more problems with cannabis, though it's hard to say whether they're more sensitive than cats, or just more likely or willing to ingest anything that will fit into their mouths. (Cats, I've found, are rather finicky, which is sometimes to the good.)

The web has turned up a little bit of material. Don't give "magic" brownies to cats, if only because the chocolate is toxic to them, let alone the marijuana.​ Cannabis is a live chemical plant, full of compounds; knowing that, I wouldn't give any to  my cats.

Does anyone have experiences or observations they'd like to share? Does it appear to have medical benefits, as it does in people?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that there are some pet ailments that are helped by marijuana. Of course, like using any herb, the owner should consult with a vet who is knowledgeable about proper dosage and all that, and not try to dose the pet themselves. Obviously smoke isn't good for anybody's lungs, and a cat probably won't eat a gummy bear ;) so something like oil would be better for cats.

It's not legal here yet, even for medicinal use, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for myself or a pet if the situation called for it (and if it was legal).

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently started my cat on canna pet. He has oral cancer so I'm hoping it will help him ne more comfortable. Canna pet is THC free and totally legal here. I give him the oil, he doesn't seem to mind it and it does seem so far that it helps him feel better.

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smoking and edibles would be the worst thing to expose any animal to.  Not to mention there's not a single shred of evidence it is helpful for pets.  It's not approved for pets, it has not been researched for safety and efficacy for pets.  It worries me that since there is no research, vets are making this up as they go and no one can say if it's causing good or harm.

(also, interstate commerce of medical marijauna is illegal, I don't know how cannapet gets away with this).

mamamakattack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Smoking and edibles would be the worst thing to expose any animal to.  Not to mention there's not a single shred of evidence it is helpful for pets.  It's not approved for pets, it has not been researched for safety and efficacy for pets.  It worries me that since there is no research, vets are making this up as they go and no one can say if it's causing good or harm.

(also, interstate commerce of medical marijauna is illegal, I don't know how cannapet gets away with this).
Maybe this article will shed some light for you. The legality of medical marijuana for people and pets has to do with CBD vs THC, the latter inducing a high, but the former aiding symptoms of cancer, arthritis, nausea, etc.

I am looking into the medical compounds of using CBD to help my small cell lymphoma kitty because anecdotal evidence seems to offer hopeful help. And anything that can help...! The article also talks about the legality of what has been blocking established clinical research of the drugs affects.

But yeah, definitely not the equivalent or even close to giving your cat your weed or edibles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's nice to see that the superstitious "Reefer Madness" dread regarding Cannabis is at last being replaced with thought about it.

I personally know a couple of people who say that cannabis helped them deal with chemotherapy for cancer, which was miserable. My father had to have chemo, which didn't help him; I wonder if he would have continued it, if he'd had access to cannabis to take the hard edge off the misery?

Obviously, cats and people aren't the same, but this has turned out to be an interesting thread.

MamaMak, please keep us apprized of your kitty's progress. We may all learn something, perhaps even something good!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not give either natural or synthesised human medical marijuana to cats, as the high concentration of (tetrahydrocannabinol) THC would blow their furry minds.  The cannabidiol (CBD) used to make the Canna-Pet medication is not derived from marijuana but from hemp.   Hemp does not contain THC; neither does it have anywhere near as many medicinal cannabinoids, such as CBD, as marijuana.

When I was young, a friend gave a chunk of cannabis fudge to our dog.  She was visibly distressed for the duration of its 5-hour effect, as though experiencing psychosis.  Thankfully, she returned to her usual belligerent self shortly afterwards.  We banned the friend from coming to our house again, as it was extremely irresponsible and cruel. 

As for cats, CBD derived from marijuana would likely be very beneficial (much more so than CBD from hemp), but marijuana has yet to be synthesised that does not also contain THC.  I know many cats that live with marijuana users and none of them have ever exhibited any positive or negative side effects from inhaling secondary smoke.  However, I would not give marijuana in any form to a cat, considering the effect of catnip, which is also mildly psychoactive and hallucinogenic.  I can imagine a cat’s brain to be extremely receptive to THC, and wouldn’t want one to open doors of perception and wander away forever. 

Medicinal marijuana for humans is an entirely different matter. 

EndFragment

EndFragment