Cats and Birds

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cockatiels love heads for some reason! My conures never do that, but my tiels do...

This is Tommy, my rescued Dusky conure.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odo stealing a chip.

Budgie and conure flirting.

Drunk Odo (not really, of course... he just decided to plop down next to the bottle).

The Happy Hut crazies!! (Yes, conures get the crazies too)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't Duskies the 'quiet' conures?
I love the Sun, Jenday and Nanday conures, but I simply cannot tollerate their piercing voices.
I've always heard that Dusky and Green Cheeks were pretty quiet.

My birds (Quaker & Hahn's Macaw) get loud, but thankfully not high pitched.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HA... yes, they are quiet... for conures.
I had a Sun and he was definitely louder than these two together, but a parrot has got to be a parrot, and they have to have their daily screamed sessions no matter how much attention you give them or how well trained they are. Mine always screech when I come home from work or class, in the morning (around 10), and at night (around 8 or 9, the time I usually feed them if I haven't fed them already). But they do say hello, pretty bird, and give me kisses/make really slobbery kissy noises and clucks on demand... they also have this chitter-chatter baby-babble-type collection of noises. They do that when I talk really softly and low to them, I think they think they are having a conversation with me. Sometimes, I think we are too!
They really are smart!

I think there are other medium-sized parrots that are quieter that aren't conures, though.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that you have Quaker... how are they? I've heard they are sometimes difficult to deal with... but I'm paranoid I won't take care of them well enough or that they won't adjust to my schedule, so I go with the "easy" species.
The Quaker I considered getting seemed really loud to me, louder than my Duskies. And yes, you're right... the Duskies' screech isn't as high-pitched as my Sun's was.... and behavior-wise, they are a dream... I've never had a bird that minded me so well and that was so well-adjusted, calm (mostly) and not easily freaked out.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that Quakers are not 'easy' birds

I got Abby as a 6 year old rescue who'd been terribly neglected, so I'm not sure how much of her personality is true Quaker and how much is a result of her past life.

They are most definitely demanding little birds, but my Hahn's is actually more sensitive.
He hasn't done so in about two years, but little things do stress him to the point that he plucks himself completely.
Poor guy ends up looking like a cornish game hen ready to be stuffed.

The hard part is always getting him to stop picking at the new feathers as they come in.
We never have figured out his triggers, but we're happy that he hasn't plucked in a couple years.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Quakers
but I rarely get to see one irl

Originally Posted by Godiva

I think there are other medium-sized parrots that are quieter that aren't conures, though.
This is the exact reason I went for Senegal as my choice of parrot, they are really very quiet. Of course they have their screeching sessions, but it is only painfully loud if you are up close, and they do not make constant noise - ideal if you want to keep your neighbours happy! They are not known for being great talkers, but when they do it is in a very soft 'robot-bird' voice if you know what I mean
Jasper says 'give us a kiss', 'who's a good boy?', and 'awwwww, sweeeet!' On the downside, they are extremely feisty little birds and they need regular training and behaviour modification. They are also very much 'one-person' birds and jealously possessive. I love my Sennie

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Meyer's parrot some years back, same family as the Sennies, very quiet birds (except during crazies).
Very playful and loving too, huge clowns, I expect Sennies aren't much different.