Cats aggressive behavior

Smarl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm asking a question about my 3yo nautered male cat Kassu.

I adopted him when he was around one year old and in his previous home he lived with three dogs, I don't have he had any cat company before. All this time he's been very anxious and nervous cat: in the beginning he was really scared when people walk towards him (just a normal walking around house), it seemed like he was totally terrified. He's better now, but still at times might get super scared of loud noises etc. He's always been very loving towards people, loves pets and like to sleep on my lap.

Why I'm worried is, that sometimes he might suddenly attack other cats. Today I was reading on my bed, and Kassu, Onni (7mo neutered male) and Ruska (4mo female) were hanging on the bed with me. They all seemed enjoying themselves, and Kassu was washing Onni, when totally out of nowhere he got really triggered, bite Onni's ear and head, hissed at home and then just run away. Kassu is probably a bit introverted and Onni is actually the only cat he gets along really well. Kassu also doesn't have too good social skills, sometimes he annoys other cats with staring, sniffing too much or other ways breaking their boundaries. He saw a vet couple of months ago, and doesn't have any health issues. I give him special attention quite often, and he seems quite happy cat, besides the wierd aggressive behaviour and anxiousness.

So do you have any ideas what might be wrong, and how to improve? Is it possible that he's been taken too early from his mom, and he haven't learn proper ways to communicate with other cats? Just a 10 minutes after the accident, Onni and Kassu are both laying on my lap and they both seem fine, not scared or irritated or anything. I'm a bit worried since I've never seen such a behavior, my other cats get along nicely and they are not nervous or scared of normal things. Thanks!

(Pic is cat tax, I took I just before the biting started)

9C30B155-B68D-4CF9-AEF2-755BA6FF431B.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be a defensive move he learned when he was around dogs. it is also completely possible he never learned how to 'play right' or develop manners when he was a kitten. As long as your other cats don't avoid him, or hide when he appears, they are not getting really hurt. Even though it sounds/looks like it. Some cats are just nervous, scared by nature, this is 'normal' for him. you could try some calming treats and see if they help, but usually your other cats will eventually learn what triggers him or teach him manners themselves. I've had two cats that groomed each other and it ALWAYS turned into a biting/wrestling match, so I would let them groom for a while and then distract them or break them up. I think they get overstimulated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smarl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks!

Yeah other are not scared of him. I'll try those calming treats if they'd help, thanks a lot!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t sound like Onni minds very much. Kassu running off is a good sign. It means Kassu is disengaging before things get out of hand.

Try playing with each cat without other cats around. This will build each cat’s self confidence and be a particular benefit to Kassu.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smarl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup I'll let you know if those calming sweets will help!

Playing just with Kassu is good idea. I've noticed he's sometimes too shy to play, if kittens are very keen on running and jumping around. I do just me and him time (grooming and cuddling), so I'll add play sessions to that too.