Cats Acting Weird After Spaying

Bobip_TK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cats were spayed a week ago. A week before that my grandma, who was their main carer, sadly died and so now my dad and I are taking care of them. The first few days after the spaying they were fine but then this week the the older cat (around 10 years old), who is also the mother of the younger cat (6 years old), started trilling at the younger one. She keeps on leading the younger cat to my grandma's old wardrobe and they snuggle there for most of the day. They never used to do this and I'm really confused. They seem to be eating, drinking and using the litter tray normally. Are they just sad after my grandma's death or should I be worried? Also, the younger cat has become very affectionate (he was only ever affectionate towards my grandma and not to me) and both have started to play during the morning which is new. They also keep on meowing excessively at me and leading me around the house which is also new.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure you cats are missing your grandmother and they are also reacting to the vet and spay experience. The wardrobe may have your grandmothers smell in it which they find comforting. They are doing fine and the fact they are playing more and becoming affectionate with you is a great sign. The meowing may settle down once they finish telling you about how they are feeling.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 is right. Your cats are missing your grandmother, and taking comfort in a place that is saturated with her scent. This will slowly pass. In the mean time, give them lots of love and attention, and slowly they will transfer their loyalty to you and your father. Cats do mourn, just as we do, and just as we do, they need time and love.