Cats Act Different When They Go To The Basement.

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband is usually in the basement. I spend a lot of time upstairs. My cats do not scratch upstairs, and usually don't act needy, or want extra attention when they are upstairs.

When I go downstairs they go straight for the couch I am sitting on and start scratching. They have figured out that I will jump up and get them or go upstairs & feed them so my husband doesn't get mad at them for scratching. Sometimes it looks like Bam Bam thinks it is a game.
Rocky who never wants a lot of attention when he is upstairs always wants to be on my lap when I am downstairs. He also sits on the floor and digs his claws in the carpet, but it looks like he is doing it because he is happy, not actually scratching.

Last Saturday, I tried to sit on the couch in the basement. Rocky would try to scratch the couch so I grabbed him & put him on the couch with me. Then Bam Bam would come scratch the couch so I grab him, and Rocky would jump down. Then pretty soon Rocky would come back and scratch so I would pick him up & Bam Bam would jump down........... Neither one of them had wanted my attention when I was upstairs.

How do I cure them of this basement only behavior? If it was just me, I wouldn't worry about it, but my husband is not happy with this.

He is going to be starting a trucking job soon, and I should be able to work with them while he is gone, but I need them to stop now before it causes a big fight.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm gathering the cats mostly follow you around? And that they don't spend time downstairs unless you are there? If so, it's probable that they regard downstairs as foreign territory, and don't find anything that smells like them.

First and foremost, if at possible, place a decent sized cat tree next to the couch. When you pick up either one to interrupt their scratching, put them on the tree, and give it a few scratches yourself. Hopefully they'll mimic your behavior and give a good scratch...if they do, give them lots of praise.

Regardless of whether the couch is new or not, also try giving it a good cleaning to minimize any strange smells it might have. Also on the topic of smell, you can try having them sleep on a throw blanket or towels while upstairs for a few days, then put the blanket/towels on the couch. They might be less likely to scratch something that already smells like them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are usually 3 cats trailing after me everywhere I go.

I had scratchers down there, but my husband had moved them away from the couches, then the other day he got mad and moved my anti scratch tape from the couches, and put the cat scratchers back upstairs. I don't know if he was mad at me, or the cats, or all of us.

Once he starts his job, I think I can spend some time down there with them and get them to stop, but I need a temporary solution.

I tried to wear them out with the laser & the bird toy last night. The problem with the bird toy is that Bam Bam grabs the bird and starts walking off with it, so we end up with the cat leading me around the house instead of me exercising the cats.

They had been doing good until my husband went to truck driving school for 4 weeks. This scratching problem started up when he got back from school.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't seem like your kitties are scratching the couch because they are bored or anything, so I doubt toys and exercise will help.

Thing is, most cats have a physical and emotional need to scratch on something in socially important areas (bedroom, living room, entry ways). If there isn't something appropriate for them to scratch on in those areas, furniture, carpet, door jambs, and even walls are at risk!

So your husband moving then removing the scratching posts, and the anti-scratch tape, is...decidedly unhelpful. :-(

Your best bet, for now, may be trying to keep them upstairs with a pet/child gate. Long term, it really sounds like you need your husband to not just tolerate cats in the house, but also learn a bit about them and be a partner in taking care of their needs.