catnip & 'reaction' of the funny/weird kind

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend gave me a fresh sprig of catnip - Malcahy has not really reacted to catnip toys from the store (other than to play 'normally' with them) ...I'm sure the nip in those is age old with no potency left ..but my oh my, the fresh!  The tiniest piece - which he eats I will add - causes the strangest reaction.  He doesn't race around, but rolls crazy (rolling over & over & over) after eating it, he might end up on his back briefly & he will grab & bite his feet or tail, leap into the air a few times &/or swat the air, then it's over ...the whole episode is over in 30-60 seconds, depending size of the piece I give him. Tonight he was sniffing/licking the floor in the kitchen where I dropped a piece for him a few days ago & he went into his antics for just a few seconds ...wasn't sure what to expect when I first gave it to him ...it's just the weirdest thing how cats react to this stuff.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my! 
  My step-sister told me one of her cats at her mother's broke into a toy and was pretty much "drunk" acting with what he was eating out of the toy.  I have never tried fresh catnip.  My 2 get silly enough with the dried!