"Catnip Behavior"

rosie1979

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the shelter to talk to the lady who runs it about some of the behavioral issues I have with Sneezy and what I should be doing to change the behavior.

She suggested that catnip might be making him behave badly.

She said that Catnip is not allowed in her shelter because it makes some cats behave so badly. 

I remain skeptical.

Is this true?

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat. My cat likes to chew, kick and destroy the catnipped filled thing. If you go to pet him, he might turn around and bite your hand and wrap his arms around your hand. It's not violent but it's aggressive for his usual nature.

I know some cats just pass out and become fluffy and nice. The catnip effects for my cat only last for a few minutes. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem with catnip is it tends to exaggerate the emotional state the cat is in. That's fine if the cat is happy, playful or relaxed, but not great if the cat is scared or anxious. Additionally, some cats do exhibit a very negative reaction to catnip, actually becoming aggressive. Not all that common, but it does happen. It absolutely makes sense that a shelter might chose to ban catnip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosie1979

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That does make sense. Thank you for explaining that. I don't notice more aggression in Sneezy after having catnip. But maybe I should try a few weeks without it and see if that helps at all.

Thanks very much