Catching Ferals Without Catching My Next Door Neighbors' Cats!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, I'm in a bit of a pickle with this one! A trio of young, unneutered tomcats have somehow found their way into my neighborhood and have been terrorizing all the neighborhood cats and peeing on everything. They are all identical and appear to be brothers. One of them is VERY friendly and will race right up for pets, the other two...not so much. They'll bolt at the sight of a human even from the other side of the street. They creep around at night picking fights with my neighbors' four indoor/outdoor cats.

Now my local shelter runs a program called 'Barn Cat Adoptions'...and that's basically it. They fix untameable ferals and adopt them out as mousers for the local farming community.

I have no idea how I'm going to catch these guys without snagging someone else's pet in the process! Any advice from experienced trappers?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can recognize your neighbors cats, there are remote control devices that can be made for traps. You can trigger it when you have the right kitty. Antonio65 posted a video on site of the one he made. You can also ask the neighbors to keep their kitties in when you are trying to trap. Short of that it may be a trap and release system.
If one is tame, maybe someone nearby is already working with them. I would ask around. Hopefully you’ll find help or someone who can get them more easily. Cats do wander a long distance so I always post signs at the post office and in the area when I find new kitties. I found one that lived five miles from here. Luckily the owner saw one of my signs. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I'll see about that trapping idea. I and others have been asking around and no one recognizes them. They've been posted for on all the local groups too. They just kind of appeared and no one in the community recognizes them.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was planning on posting some good close up pictures to post around town after capture too in case an owner DOES come forward.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you catch a neighbor cat, just let them go. Most cats will be too scared to go back in the trap. Although some learn that it's harmless and enjoy the free food ;). But most are scared by the bang of the door and won't try it again.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I don't know why it is a big issue? Just let those cats out if you trap them, they likely won't come back into one again...

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far I haven't caught a thing, neighbor cat or not. Someone got into my trap last night, ate the food, left some ON the pressure plate, and then peed all over the trap and surrounding area. Little jerks. :lol:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! If it doesn’t have the scent of male cat, you may have had a raccoon. They tend to make messes. Eeeewww! :lol: Nice try. I once caught a vulture in the trap. Getting it back out was tricky!