Cataract Surgery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eventually, your cataracts will get bad enough that fog/frost on your glasses won't be your only issue. My cataracts are bad enough that no set of glasses - distance, near, or both will help.
That's the point my left eye has gotten to. My right eye is compensating for it but it also has a cataract it just isn't nearly as bad. I have been having issues with my left eye feeling gritty at times which was from eyestrain. I also have been getting floaters in that eye as well as occasional aura of lights like a rainbow on the side. That eye definitely is at the point of medical necessity.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was wearing tri focals. She had floaters. Her surgery got rid of it! I guess I'm not old enough yet. I wear her reading glasses now. Try having shingles in the eye! I kept thinking of the song
I wear My Sunglasses at Night and Blinded by the Light

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think traditional Medicare pays for cataract surgery but like most things under that plan you have a deductible and copays.
It does pay for cataract surgery, but not laser surgery. If you want laser, it's extra. I am assuming my husband will opt for laser. There is no co-pay, just the deductible, with original Medicare. And they will pay for a new pair of glasses. My employer insurance paid for everything (including laser), but not the glasses.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your insurance has allowable amounts for some things it can help to space things out intentionally at the end of the year too. My dentist's office gave me the idea when I was looking at getting the dental implant. I had the surgery done in November and then had to wait till spring for the restoration part. It helped me get the maximum benefit from my insurance. I don't generally update my glasses every year; but this year I got new ones late enough that I can also get new sunglasses now that it's the new year and get some reimbursement on those if I want.
That's a really good point. Now that we are both on Original Medicare with a Supplement, I don't believe there are limits. Of course, no dental and vision is exam only with the ophthmolotist, but it's worth it. My sister is dual eligible, so she has limits on some things with an Advantage Plan.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I had cataract surgery last year, they couldn't really do much because I have a bad astigmatism. I can still see better than I did prior to the surgery. I still wear glasses to drive and, sometimes, if I can't see a measurement correctly in a cookbook, I'll have to put my glasses on.

Good luck denice denice !

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It does pay for cataract surgery, but not laser surgery. If you want laser, it's extra. I am assuming my husband will opt for laser. There is no co-pay, just the deductible, with original Medicare. And they will pay for a new pair of glasses. My employer insurance paid for everything (including laser), but not the glasses.
I also had laser years ago. I am sensitive to light though not as bad. Glasses I did not need though need reading glasses now

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I get to join some of the rest of you with Cataract Surgery. I thought I just needed new glasses because things were a little blurry when I had my vision checked for my drivers license renewal. I passed but things were a little blurry. My left eye is the one that is the worst and is causing the issues but when they do one eye they do both. I just seen an optometrist today and he is sending a referral over to the ophthalmologist that he refers people to.
~ We are in the same situation. I am due for the same procedure. 🧐

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am getting my left eye done March 26. He said we will wait and see if the left and right eye 'play well together' whatever that means before deciding about the right eye. I am getting a standard lens. I am only a little nearsighted and normally only wear glasses to drive, I don't think the extra expense of corrective lenses would be worth it.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom will be having cataract surgery next month. I fully admit I have not read everything yet. I plan on doing so this week.

I've taken a weeks vacation to look out for her as for some reason they say she should be alone. Imma gonna pamper her. I'm thinking they are worried about complications or falls? The second eye will be the following month and I'll do the same.

I know she is not allowed to lift or bend for a while after.

Does anyone have experience with it? Anything that you wish they had told you? Like "if I knew then what I now now I would have?" or things you found challenge that no noe really things of?

I know she's pretty scared so I want to be as helpful as I can without overwhelming her too much by over caring - but she's my mom....

EDIT TO ADD: apparently no sneezing but she is the sneezing QUEEN like several times a day 5 sneezes in a row. Bad sinuses - no idea what the helk to do about that save for try to drug the life out of her? (a woman who won't take an aspirin unless she's on her death bed type of person. *sigh*)

EDIT: I just noticed another thread on the topic - DOH - I'm blind. Going to see if a mod can merge this. Flagging myself. DOH So sorry everyone

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my siblings had it and they were astonished at how relatively easy it was, compared to what they had built up in their minds. Apparently you get to wear an eye patch like a pirate for a bit (they each only needed one eye done) and of course after that they only needed bifocals. Perhaps your mom won’t even need that. Both reported no pain whatsoever.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have talked to a few people who have had it done. They have told me that they weren't aware of anything from the time they went to sleep and the time they woke up. No pain after but some itchiness. I am going to be given a plastic shield with holes in it so air can still circulate around the eye. I have to wear that constantly until the next morning when I go back so the doctor can take a quick lock. After that I just wear it while I am asleep and if I think I need it to keep my hand away from my eye for a week. I go back after a week and he will probably tell me I don't have to do that anymore. There are several different eyedrops and I start using one a few days before. The only thing he told me was no heavy lifting the first week to avoid strain. Also no driving until I get the okay when I go back the morning after.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had both of mine removed in, um, either late 2012 or early 2013. Best advice for you, F FeralHearts , is to get your mother a pair of safety goggles, the kind that are supposed to go over glasses and use elastic to stay in place: Amazon.com

After the surgery they'll want her eyes protected so that she doesn't accidentally rub them in her sleep, and the things the surgeon's office supply are awkward and uncomfortable. This kind of safety goggle will do the trick at least as well as what the surgeon supplies and it's much more comfortable for sleeping.

Beyond that, here's what I can tell you.
1. It doesn't hurt.
2. Your mother may need extra sun protection after the surgery. I've found that since my cataracts were removed I've needed to wear two pairs of polarized sunglasses on sunny days instead of the single pair I used before. But this may be just me.
3. Remember that "lifting" includes things we would normally describe as "pulling," for instance, pulling a car door closed after she gets in. You should do that for her while she's not supposed to lift heavy things. This also applies to heavy doors at the shopping mall - either open them for her or she can use the handicapped wall plate. After exiting a car it will be fine for her to use a hip to shove the car door closed, however.
3. Some cataract surgeons promote an option where the patient can have a lens focused for fairly close work (reading distance) in one eye and a lens focused for distance vision in the other eye. The idea is that the patient can then drive without glasses, using one eye to look at the road and the other eye to look at the dashboard. There are two problems with this:
  • Some people can never adjust to using one eye for distance and the other eye for reading or whatever. My dad had his cataracts done this way and it drove him crazy trying to drive with only one eye on the road.
  • Stereoscopic vision requires two eyes, and stereoscopic vision is what we normally use to determine distance. This destroys stereoscopic vision. It can be very dangerous for driving.
4. Your mother may need help with the eyedrops they'll want her to use before and after surgery. You should read the surgeon's instructions on that.

Do reassure your mother that this is a straightforward procedure and there's nothing to be afraid of. I'm very pleased with the results of my cararact surgery, and I've heard the same from many other people. The only bad review I've heard on cataract surgery is my father's, and that was specifically because of that bad lens choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to be given a plastic shield with holes in it so air can still circulate around the eye. I have to wear that constantly until the next morning when I go back so the doctor can take a quick lock. After that I just wear it while I am asleep and if I think I need it to keep my hand away from my eye for a week. I go back after a week and he will probably tell me I don't have to do that anymore. There are several different eyedrops and I start using one a few days before. The only thing he told me was no heavy lifting the first week to avoid strain. Also no driving until I get the okay when I go back the morning after.
I recommend a pair of safety goggles instead, the kind that are supposed to go over glasses and use elastic to stay in place: Amazon.com

The things the surgeon's office supplies are awkward and uncomfortable. This kind of safety goggle will do the trick at least as well as what the surgeon supplies and it's much more comfortable for sleeping. Take them along to your surgery so you can wear them immediately after, and show them to your surgeon if you're worried about approval. Your surgeon should have no problem with these.

Last edited by a moderator:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
've needed to wear two pairs of polarized sunglasses on sunny days instead of the single pair I used before. But this may be just me.
I have never been good about wearing sunglasses, it is one of those things that I knew I should be doing but didn't. I researched my surgeon online, I think I have found everything there is to find and he has a lot of good reviews. I even found him on Facebook and there was a picture of him with his family. All of them in sunglasses including his toddler and baby so he practices what he preaches.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been good about wearing sunglasses, it is one of those things that I knew I should be doing but didn't. I researched my surgeon online, I think I have found everything there is to find and he has a lot of good reviews. I even found him on Facebook and there was a picture of him with his family. All of them in sunglasses including his toddler and baby so he practices what he preaches.
Well, I've found that squinting while driving just doesn't work well.

I don't wear sun glasses because I "should"; I wear them because it hurts when I don't.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked on Lowe's website, that is the home improvement store closest to me and they have safety goggles in stock at a very reasonable price. I can't tell from the picture if they are vented but they are anti-fog which I think means they are vented.