Cataract Surgery

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom needs cataract surgery soon. She's been nearsighted since childhood and probably couldn't do without glasses ;) (same for me actually) but she'll probably get lenses for distance and wear reading glasses. She has a bad astigmatism and tends to take her glasses off and cover one eye when she reads, so she'd probably pay extra if they could fix that.

Her eye doctor said that if she thinks she wants one eye for distance and one eye for reading, she should get contacts like that for a while to make sure she likes it, because some people adjust and some don't and insurance won't pay to fix it if it turns out you can't adjust.

I know several people who have had it done and it seems like no big deal now. My grandma had it done back in the '80s and it was a lot worse back then.

And yes, Costco is WAY cheaper for glasses and contacts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy , I have been reading books on cataract surgery and supposedly they CAN fix astigmatism. If your mom wants it done, she should inquire about it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I know (well, she knows :D). But usually it costs extra and some insurance plans don't cover it.
I understand that no insurance covers it, it's an extra that if you want it you pay for it. I have astigmatism too and wouldn't mind having it fixed, but not if it's going to cost extra.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just came from the ophthalmologist, so I thought I would post an update. He was "underwhelmed" by my cataracts. Apparently, what is causing my problems is something called Fuchs' corneal endothelial dystrophy and dry eye syndrome. The corneal thing is genetic. He said it wasn't bad enough to need a transplant (his specialty). He prescribed artificial tears and I have to go back in August for a re-evaluation.

On one hand, I'm glad no surgery. On the other hand, no easy fix for my vision issues, and maybe someday I will need a corneal transplant (yikes!).

I'll try the refresh and see how that goes.

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have cataracts, macular degeneration, & chronic dry eye, but it took awhile to find the drops that worked the best for me.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Refresh is pretty good; it's the one my surgeon prescribed after the cataract surgery, and there are some good manufacturer's coupons available for it online.

Margret

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Similasan, but its what works best for me personally. Refresh did nothing for me.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Sistaine for dry eye; it's a light oil that coats and protects your eye from abrasion. Misty, they don't use a laser - it's too dangerous. They use Ultrasound to break up the cataract, then make a tiny slit in the cornea and vacuum out the old cataract. They will then insert a collapsible new lens. I've had both my eyes done, and it was nothing short of a miracle. I could see the instant I walked out of the surgery.

There are three grades of the lenses - I chose the basic one because it was all my insurance covered, but it was all I needed. I went home and put on my old glasses, and perfecto! I could see just fine.

If you do have to have the surgery, don't worry about it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the recommendations for alternative drops for dry eye. I will see if Refresh works for me. I'm not sure what I'm looking for it to be doing, though. I've just started using it today.

DreamerRose DreamerRose According to what they told me yesterday, the only thing lasers are used for is to make the initial cut. Then the surgeron removes the lens and replaces it. Laser is $1,000 more per eye. They did mention they could do a procedure that would make one eye for near and one for far, but with only a small increment of difference so your eyes adjust better which was covered under insurance, in addition to the regular ones. But it doesn't matter for me anyway, since removing my cataracts would not make any difference for me based on the genetic cornea disease.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just came from the ophthalmologist, so I thought I would post an update. He was "underwhelmed" by my cataracts. Apparently, what is causing my problems is something called Fuchs' corneal endothelial dystrophy and dry eye syndrome. The corneal thing is genetic. He said it wasn't bad enough to need a transplant (his specialty). He prescribed artificial tears and I have to go back in August for a re-evaluation.

On one hand, I'm glad no surgery. On the other hand, no easy fix for my vision issues, and maybe someday I will need a corneal transplant (yikes!).

I'll try the refresh and see how that goes.
I am still at that point with cataracts. My lenses are cloudy and getting worse. I haven't been to an ophthalmologist just an optometrist. She checks the back of my eye and the retina to make sure everything is okay. She believes that as long as my vision can be corrected to 20/20 I am not at the point of needing surgery.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip. They just opened a Costco not too far from me. What brand were the progressives? I have always had Varilux and have good luck with them.
When my husband and I got our glasses about a year ago, we bought them through Costco. We were not members at the time and were told we had to join in order to but them there. Still saved a ton of money even though we had to join. My husband has to have cataract surgery soon. He drives for a living and one eye is worse than the other - it is affecting his vision enough that he is concerned about driving.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Don't forget Target also has an optometry center . They often have 2-for-1 specials .

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not any of the Targets in the area here. Walmart has one. I don't know how good they are.