Catachondriac?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had one of her puke fests Monday and early Tues morning. She was feeling so bad she didn't bother to get up from where she was sleeping..MY RECLINER! Just got sick where she was.
I hate when this happens because I want to rush her to the vet for Cerenia each time and it is not good nor necessary.
Today she had some boiled chicken and broth I made into a pate' in the blender and she ate it and looks like she is on the mend again.
My late 90 yr old aunt had a house cat that lived to be well into her senior years.
Her daughter has an outdoor cat in a rural area and is as robust as a cat can be. Neither of them ever took their cat to the vet and seemed to have no problems.
Of course I believe it is humane to have a pet examined regularly and would not neglect my pet even though she seemed healthy...
BUT... I realized that one can go overboard worrying every time the cat has diarrhea or pukes or meows constanty!
So I confess....
My name is Louise's Mom and I am a catachondriac.
Are you a catachondriac/ Do you worry about your cat's health when the problem is really not a problem at all? Do you run your cat to the vet when something can be fixed in a day by reading your cat and giving home remedies?
Can you too confess you are a catachondriach?

Last edited by a moderator:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. But I have diagnosed health anxiety so I'm not surprised. :lol:

I am pretty good about monitoring for a bit and not rushing to the vet for everything. But I still will internally panic about just about everything.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My name is Mani and I am a catachondriac. :biggrin:
At least sometimes.
My girl, Nilah, is skinny; always has been and always will be. But every now and again I go into a spasm of 'she's too skinny!' and take her to the vet. This time the head vet came in, sat me down and said very calmly as though talking to a crazy person 'Nilah is a skinny cat. She's also 13 years old and losing some muscle mass. But we've done every test there is and there is nothing wrong with her. Perhaps, too you keep comparing her to Sundar?" (Sundar's nickname is Big Boofy Boy).
I left, suitably placated. Until next time.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will call my vet for advice or even the local emergency vet in a pinch. I just debate within myself if I will unnecessarily stress my cats out with a vet visit. Noodles had congestive heart failure so we wanted her as unstressed as possible. Taking Mooch in was necessary sometimes; but also stressed Noodles and made her hissy. I paid a little extra for annual home visits for a while. It’s almost fortunate she passed right before covid got to the US.

Now I have taken them in before when it was nothing. Like Mooch showing signs of her ear bothering her but the vet said they were fine and she probably had a hair or something out of place. Now I’m not going to let them suffer needlessly! But I guess I feel both better educated after spending so much time here and free to call my vet when I’m not confident. It’s helping me keep myself in check.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a touch of it. Tends to turn out that the things Dr Google says are emergencies and need a vet RIGHT NOW may not be. Like when Daisy’s gone way over the 48 hour mark for her poos - first time, I took her in, the nurse had a feel and said there was nothing compacted in there, but gave her a mini enema (which she squirted all over her cage minutes later). Second time, rang, confirmed that no, she wasn’t straining, wasn’t even going go the litter, was eating and drinking and perfectly happy. They said to give her another dose of Osmolax and monitor her. Yep, she did one when she was good and ready. After that, asked here if anyone has a not-constipated cat who has long breaks between poos, and yes, they do. Now I just keep a record of when she goes, and tell her what a wonderful girl she is when she does (and she comes and tells me she has!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it count if you wake your cats up to make sure they're breathing? If they're too still, I will give them a gentle shake on their shoulders and say, "It's okay. I just wanted to make sure you were alive."
I watch her
body to see if there is a breathing motion.ur not alone!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, absolutely I can be sometimes. Guilty.

In my defense your honor... It's only because I understand how well some animals hide stuff until it's too late. I usually give them a day or so - sometimes a week - depending on what I see going on and after that - they are going to the Docs.

Most times when I've brought any of my babies in - they have found something. At times they've managed to catch things early on that we can watch as a direct result of it.

I'd much rather bring them in and pay the bill than find out later that I should have.

Does it count if you wake your cats up to make sure they're breathing? If they're too still, I will give them a gentle shake on their shoulders and say, "It's okay. I just wanted to make sure you were alive."
Yup - I have done that more than once when I've been concerned. Often they look at me like I'm evil because I've disturbed them from a very, very happy deep sleep. WHOOPSIE. :crazy:

At least we love them.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should be grateful Phoebe's a snorer then!
Yes, absolutely! Until one day you worry it's not normal (when it is) and go into full catachondriac mode... you know it's gonna happen. They always get us with something. It's what they do because they are beautifully evillllllll. :lol:

I hope you hid Phoebe's eyes from that. Don't give her any ideas!

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, absolutely! Until one day you worry it's not normal (when it is) and go into full catachondriac mode... you know it's gonna happen. They always get us with something. It's what they do because they are beautifully evillllllll. :lol:

I hope you hid Phoebe's eyes from that. Don't give her any ideas!
LOL I've already worried that her snoring is worse! But she's nine years old and sprightly (she thinks she's nine months old) so I'm guessing it's just her soft palate getting softer as she ages, which is normal.

Daisy got me worrying this morning by not wanting her breakfast. It's a new bag or her standard food. Tried her on some tinned I had in the fridge and she ate that (she's not usually keen on tinned). Gave her the dry again later and she ate it. Just being a pernicket, I guess!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before breakfast I give the diva her medication. Then she meows for food. If I don;t give her the food, she meows all the more. But I take my time because I know what her game is; she just has to SEE it there on the mat, walks away without even sniffing it, takes a long nap and then comes back and eats it. She just has to see it and know it is there. A year ago I would have thought something was wrong..now I see she is just 'making sure'. Perhaps she was deprived at one time, I dunno, but I make sure there is always food available..even if it means using timer devices when I go out for several hours.
ETA: She was just meowing and following me around the house. I couldn;t figure out the problem so said "Show Me" and got up and let her lead me around the house.She stopped in the kitchen and there was her problem! I had washed her food mat and it was not yet dry , so was not down on the floor in the usual place and she was upset. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of my cats are cats coming from unknown backgrounds. Somehow they find my door. Some even knock in the middle of the night. I too worry about them every day. Calling the vet costs me at least $100.00. There is no free advise here. If I am unsure I ask people I know who know cats. Recently, I found this site called TheCatSite that seems to have very knowledgeable people. They will be an invaluable resource in the future. They will help me with my catachondria I hope.🙂

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats are cats coming from unknown backgrounds. Somehow they find my door. Some even knock in the middle of the night. I too worry about them every day. Calling the vet costs me at least $100.00. There is no free advise here. If I am unsure I ask people I know who know cats. Recently, I found this site called TheCatSite that seems to have very knowledgeable people. They will be an invaluable resource in the future. They will help me with my catachondria I hope.🙂
I believe there are a few that I always receive wise advice from here on the forum whom I swear have some kind of professional training. Their advice goes beyond just having had cats for years. Just my suspicion.:geekcat:

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe there are a few that I always receive wise advice from here on the forum whom I swear have some kind of professional training. Their advice goes beyond just having had cats for years. Just my suspicion.:geekcat:
I agree with you, 100%. Its nice to see that they are willing to do that. I wish I had found this resource years ago.

According to the various veterinary medical associations there are 2 vets retiring for every 1 vet graduating every year and this is expected to continue for the next 10 years. Yikes!

Resources like TheCatSite are going to be more and more important in the future.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you, 100%. Its nice to see that they are willing to do that. I wish I had found this resource years ago.

According to the various veterinary medical associations there are 2 vets retiring for every 1 vet graduating every year and this is expected to continue for the next 10 years. Yikes!

Resources like TheCatSite are going to be more and more important in the future.
And...they always encourage us to visit our vet's office regularly!

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And...they always encourage us to visit our vet's office regularly!
Yes, but we need the extra support of resources like TheCatSite. In my neck of the woods if you don't have a vet already they will not take you on as a client. You must go to the emergency vet hospital that is in another city an hour and a half away. I'm not blaming vets, it is just the way it is. So other resources have to come into play or our beloved pets will suffer needlessly. Thankyou everyone for the opinions that you express to people here, the love and kindness shown is beyond anything I have ever seen in any other community. Kudos to all of you.