Cat yowling after having kittens

Atlas1300

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had two healthy kittens a few hours ago. Now when anyone enters the home or walks in the room she will jump up and start yowling. I cant tell if its because she's in pain or if she wants attention, Advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s hard to say. Will she let you pet her? Or does she need to just rest and nurse her kittens in complete privacy for now? Does she have food, water, and litter in the room?

I do know that It takes cats who’ve just given birth 24-48 hours to settle down. It’s hormonal and they need time to adjust. They are very protective of their babies and perhaps need just their one special human person to check on them and refresh food a few times a day. Other visitors should wait. Mom does need privacy and quiet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she only does it when someone walks in, it's probably not pain. If she were howling in pain she wouldn't care if anyone was around or not. Does it seem like happy yowling or aggressive yowling? My guess is that either she's trying to protect her babies and is aggressively yowling, or she wants everybody to see her babies and is happily yowling for attention. What is her body language like?

But of course I'm not there to hear her or see her body language, so if you think she's in pain, call the vet right away.

It would be best to close her in the same room with her babies and leave her alone for awhile. That way she doesn't have to worry about protecting her babies or getting attention, and can just concentrate on being a mama :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Atlas1300

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is letting us pet her and she gets upset when you leave her alone. Her last litter had two stillborn kittens in it and I think she's very proud of her healthy babies.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear the kittens are healthy! It sounds like mom is adjusting.
Are you able to keep her inside and 100% away from intact males? If you give us the nearest city and your state we can help you to find a low cost spay clinic near you. Mom can be booked for 2 months from now.