Cat Won't Use Scratching Post!

kittenbritches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My newly adopted 15-month-old Lynx Point is pretty mellow, but shows zero interest in using his scratching post (sisal). He isn't scratching the furniture (luckily), but I keep hearing him scratch at the carpet, just for a second or two at a time. I REALLY don't want him tearing up my carpet. 

I've tried using catnip mist to attract him to the post, but he really is completely disinterested. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have another cat who might be a "teacher"? I am new to being a kitty mommy so only have this one suggestion/thought, but we had a similar problem with Sinbad. He would not scratch anything. We were actually starting to get concerned about his claws.

But then one day he saw Tempest at her scratching post. She LOVES clawing her post, and will just have at it! The first time he saw that he stared and stared, and then ran down to his post and clawed! It was the cutest thing in the world, watching him earnestly trying his best to imitate Tempest. He still doesn't entirely know how to do it, but he does his best and he's learning. Every time he watches her he gets better at it.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our oldest boy prefers furniture, unfortunately.  It didn't help that all our furniture was the Ultra leather 

He will use a tall sisal tree once to every 5 stretch/claw sharpenings on the furniture.  We have purchased every shape, height, and style.  I do believe since he was a true stray, found outdoors, he was already ingrained at approx. 8mos old, to scratch what he chose.  I gave up and will replace the furniture coverings when I can afford to with a more micro-fiber type material that should be less interesting.

The little guy, on the other hand, coming from a shelter - a drop off as a tiny kitten - he's never known anything but appropriate scratching surfaces.  He uses every shape and style that we have .. always. 

Frustrating for sure to get them trained to scratch only certain surfaces!

sunflowers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would recommend buying at least 3 other types of scratching surfaces to see what he prefers. Take a toy that makes him use his claws (my kittens always have their claws out for feather toys) and run the toy up and down the scratch surfaces. My kittens will automatically start scratching when I do that because they have their claws out to catch the feathers. Its best to try this when he is in a very playful and hyper mood. Cats can't seem resist a good clawing when playing.

You can also try putting a coarse mat/rug near the scratch sites. I have a rug that my cats use. Its a cheap one I got from walmart. They prefer that over carpet.

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a horizontal scratcher?  Some cats prefer to scratch horizontally instead of vertically and from what you've told us, it sounds like your cat may be one of them.  They make some corrugated cardboard ones many cats enjoy.  I have these three: http://www.thecatsite.com/products/...with-catnip-jungle-stripe-lounge/reviews/4310http://www.thecatsite.com/products/turbo-scratcher-cat-toy/reviews/4451http://www.thecatsite.com/products/petfusion-cat-scratcher-lounge.  The jungle stripe one is really flimsy, but for some reason it's been Hunter's favorite since the day I brought it home.  The turbo scratchers' great as it doubles as a toy and the Petfusion one is probably the best made and nicest looking horizontal scratcher I've found.  You can also try asking whoever you got him from if they know his preferences.  :)  Best of luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenbritches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all of the advice everyone! He doesn't claw a ton, but I've actually just tipped his post on its side and I'll hear him using it in the night. I'm going to pick up one of those corrugated horizontal scratchers, too, since I still hear him snagging the carpet in his sneaky fashion. It's like he knows he shouldn't do it, so he just gets a tiny one in here and there. Haha.

He's the only cat I have, but he lived with his brother until I adopted him. However, they were indoor/outdoor at their old home, and Harper preferred to stay inside, while his brother, Scout, would go out for three days at a time to hang out with his best friend, a jersey cow. I don't think he had much example as far as that goes. :) His previous owner used a deterrent spray to keep them away from the furniture and never had any issues. 

I'm hoping the sideways post and corrugated scratcher will keep my carpets nice. :)