Cat Won't Use A Scratch Post

Coreylewisaspin123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys!

I've had my cat now for nearly 4 weeks and I've tried 4 different types of scratching posts and she's still scratching at my sofa and I'm scared she's gonna eventually ruin it.

I have tried valerian calming spray , lavender on the sofa , felliway scratch pheromone liquid to encourage scratching on posts and feliway plug in.

She's 2 years old and we adopted her, I have tried every method I can find on the internet to encourage her such as showing her myself or getting her paws and doing it, still nothing.

Do I carry on trying the felliway scratch spray as I have only used it for over a week? Or is there anything anyone recommends.

Thanks in advanced.

Corey.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you try putting catnip on the scratching posts? Do you have one that lays flat on the floor?
There are automated motion activated pet deterrents, maybe check those out. I'm guessing the problem area is on the side, I don't know if sheets of aluminum foil or double sided sticky tape, or taping some carpet runner with the pokey side out would work?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, Pet Smart and other pet stores carry double sided adhesive tape. i.e.both sides of the tape have an adhesive surface. Put it on the sofa where the cat is scratching. This'll discourage her. You should be able to remove it after a week or so after she falls out of the habit

I've never tried scratching posts, but you can find what I guess are scratch pads. The center of the pad is circular, made of on end cardboard replaceable part. My cats love them.Also, there are scratching boards, smaller, more convenient than a post. Again,my cats love them.They are most attracted to the ones wrapped with sisal rope.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried scratchers made of different materials? Carpet, rope, cardboard, or wood are most cats preferred scratching materials, and the scratching post needs to be right height and angle.

Last edited:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It took us about 6 weeks to teach Juniper to scratch her scratchers instead of the rug. We offered her several scratchers
and lots of catnip and tried to be consistent about praising her when she (sometimes mostly by accident) scratched the scratchers and telling her no when she scratched the carpet.

In retrospect, I think that when she first moved in with us, she was too overwhelmed by getting used to a new space, new people, new noises, etc. to really make the distinction we were asking her to make between the rug and the scratcher. Once she felt more comfortable, she had more mental energy to devote to figuring out what we were trying to tell her.

So please don't get discouraged! It sounds like you're doing all the right things, and it might just take some more time.

EKA482

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, we have found getting the biggest post you can accommodate to allow for a full stretch and covering the sofa in sticky back plastic up and along the arms and sides. We kept that on for a few months (being clear it’s not too unsightly and doesn’t damage your sofa when you peel it back off) until the temptation had been forgotten and lots of praise and rewards when the post used. 3 years on Stuart still goes to his scratch post just so he can be told what a good boy he is!!!!