Cat won't stop scratching the carpet—I feel like I've tried everything.

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats: a one-year-old named Lupin and a 10-month-old named Taro. Ever since Lupin was a kitten, he loved scratching carpet. He has tons of energy in general; I never saw myself getting two cats, but his play aggression got pretty bad as he got older, so I ended up adopting Taro when Lupin was around eight months old and they're now good friends and love playing together. Lupin doesn't have much interest in toys (I have a large variety and two baskets of toys that I swap out every few weeks), so it's hard to really tire him out unless he plays with Taro.

Anyway, all of that said, I have no idea how to stop his scratching. My couch is covered with sticky tape and that gets the job done (he'll keep scratching it the second I take it off), but I can't do the same with my carpet. It's only in the bedroom, but he's constantly scratching it and getting bits of carpet everywhere. Here's what I've tried:
  • Claw caps. These are hard to put on and never stay on long; that, and he still manages to damage the carpet even when they are on since he digs in pretty hard.
  • Scratching posts. I live in a small apartment, but have three scratching posts/cat towers in my bedroom and four in my living room. I tried wall scratchers, but he had zero interest in these. He uses the scratching posts/towers, but still prefers to scratch the carpet.
  • Covering the floor with carpet rollers as a temporary measure. I had these covering my entire bedroom floor at my last apartment, since it was the only thing that stopped him, but he started right back up again when I moved into my current place. I really don't want to resort to this again.
  • Trying to train him on the harness to go on walks. I thought this might be good to help him burn energy, but he never adjusted to the harness. Even worse, he started trying to bolt out the door every time I opened it.
  • Redirecting the behavior. I try to bring out a toy whenever he scratches, but he doesn't really like playing with toys (I've tried basically every type). At this point, he's scratching the floor to get my attention and he knows to run away if I walk over. He's not skittish at all, so me yelling at him or making a noise doesn't deter him at all.
  • Feliway. I've tried a few different types and none seem to do anything.
Any suggestions? I'm losing my mind. I hoped he'd chill out as he got older, but if anything, he's just getting more set in his ways. At this point, I'm wondering if I just need to permanently lock him out of my room, but he loves sleeping on my bed and that would make him sad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a side note, I've taken him to the vet just to rule out any sort of health problems, and his exam + bloodwork were both normal. I just got a shrug and "cats are like that."

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Covering the floor with carpet rollers as a temporary measure. I had these covering my entire bedroom floor at my last apartment, since it was the only thing that stopped him, but he started right back up again when I moved into my current place. I really don't want to resort to this again.
Based on what you have said. repeating this process is the best process for now, as much as you don't want to.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You can pick up a 5 x 7 carpet remnant for around $40. Roll it out, sprinkle it with catnip and if he scratches anywhere else direct him to this spot. This is really the only solution that is going to work.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mocha used to scratch the carpet and area rugs (and the footstool and the chair, etc.). I've used Feliway Classic Spray with a lot of success. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it stops Mocha from scratching wherever I spray it. I lightly spray the area where she scratches (making sure she isn't in the vicinity and that her scratching posts aren't nearby--I don't want it to get on those!) and keep her away for at least 15 minutes. When I first got her, I had to renew the spray frequently. Now it's just every few months.

Regarding scratching posts, I tried a variety of them (including some really expensive ones), and the only one Mocha would use is a short, rather inexpensive one! :) So I have four of them, and she uses them all the time. But tall carpeted ones, tall sisal ones, cardboard ones, horizontal, vertical...nope. Just these short, sisal ones. I had another cat years ago who would use only the cardboard scratchers and only when they were lying flat on the floor. It really takes some experimentation, but you might give the Feliway spray a try.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about a carpeted scratching post? Since the cat likes to scratch carpet it makes sense to try a carpet post, maybe a flat one since that's more like a carpeted floor than a vertical post.

Is it just one area of the carpet that is getting scratched up or does the cat just scratch everywhere? If it's just one area, there may be a scent that is attracting the cat to it. Try cleaning the area with an enzyme cleaner.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat seems to prefer horizontal scratching surfaces. Our cat Belle likes scratching carpets (she also scratches the sisal rope her cat condos) so I bought her a carpet to scratch. It works.

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, what about a carpet protector, turned upside down so the little nubs are pointing up?

View attachment 417001
Thanks, but these are the carpet rollers I mentioned in my original post. They worked as a temporary solution, but I really don't want these covering my carpet permanently.

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can pick up a 5 x 7 carpet remnant for around $40. Roll it out, sprinkle it with catnip and if he scratches anywhere else direct him to this spot. This is really the only solution that is going to work.
It won't just teach him that carpet is okay to scratch in general? I'm worried that he'll just learn to associate carpet with scratching if I let him know a spot of carpet is "okay" to scratch.

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How about a carpeted scratching post? Since the cat likes to scratch carpet it makes sense to try a carpet post, maybe a flat one since that's more like a carpeted floor than a vertical post.

Is it just one area of the carpet that is getting scratched up or does the cat just scratch everywhere? If it's just one area, there may be a scent that is attracting the cat to it. Try cleaning the area with an enzyme cleaner.
It does seem to be one general spot, yeah, though he did this at my last apartment, so I think it's a pattern. Is there a particular cleaner you're recommend?

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buy a small area rug or a runner you can make it to look stylish and just let him scratch it. You can replace it as needed but they last a long time. You are not going to be able to change his preferences ( he is just a horizontal cat, lol) . They usually prefer specific areas and that is easy. Mine like kitchen floor mats you know the rubbery foamy kind of so every year or so I buy new ones and of we go!!!
furniture scratching is a big no no in my house, carper(rug) negotiable. I pick my battles wisely lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nature's Miracle is one of the better known brands that works well. There are others. Look for one that takes care of pet messes like urine and vomit. Who knows if a previous occupant of the apartment had a pet that left a scent of some sort behind? You may have to saturate the area and let it sit for awhile before blotting with a damp cloth. Follow the label directions.

Can the one carpet area be covered with furniture? Maybe a bean bag chair if nothing else fits?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried these carboard scratchers i got them because one of mine love's to scratch carpet both boy's love them and they do save the carpet. If i did catch my boy clawing the stairs i just took him to this, found out he preferred to scatch these more than the vertical scratchers.
IMG_20210325_110729.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Mine leave my couch alone if they have those cardboard scratchers. I solved the problem, tore up the carpet, and installed wood flooring. It might be less than your deposit if you ask permission. Look for a new apartment, or a house to buy with all wood flooring. It's what all the buyers and renters want now. Maybe you could get some of those smaller carpet remnants and spray them with catnip, or rub some in. He may be attracted to just those.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper used to scratch the carpet when we first adopted him. It was right near the front door of the house. We figured he was marking his territory because the door would be the boundary of his "domain." Cats do scratch to mark territory.

We got him some scratching posts and the behavior stopped, pretty quickly. However, it took some time for use to find the places where he wanted them to be.

Remember, you can't just plop a scratching post down in any old place and expect a cat to use it.

Like I said, cats scratch for territorial reasons. It's kind of like what you used to see in old Western movies where a totem pole meant that you were in "Indian Territory." Yes, I know that old Westerns were not very culturally sensitive. I'm just talking about the stereotype.

Anyhow, stereotype though it may be, it does apply to cats.

You might need to do some experimentation and move your scratchers around a few times until you find the place where your cat wants them to be. Once you do, I bet your cat will start using them, almost exclusively.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited: