Cat won't stop scratching the back of her neck

SunflowersandSunshine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty got spayed earlier this month. We had her wear a fabric puffy donut to keep her from licking her wound. She was real itchy when she had to wear it, and she had it on for about 9 days. When I took it off, I gave her a bath using cat shampoo, which I'm pretty sure I have used on her before. I dried her off, and went to do some errands. When I came back, she had scratched a hole in her fur at the base of her neck and it was bleeding. Took her to the vet the next day; it was infected so she got an antibiotic shot and EnteDerm (nystatin) cream to take home.

The vet said to keep her in the donut until it heals. We switched to a harness as the donut kept getting poopy. But when I take the harness off, she scratches like crazy all around her neck. When I put it on, she's fine.

She can't wear the harness forever. I don't know what to do to help her.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did your veterinarian mention dermatitis or check for ringworm? Other than fleas, those are my first two thoughts. However, I'm sure you have already ruled out fleas. Is she on medication other than the antibiotic? Have you changed food or added anything new? Maybe ask if it could be an allergy.

One more thought is the air drier where you are?