Cat Won’t Stop Scratching Our Pantry Door. Please Help.

CAL3793

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I have two cats but currently the older one, which is a 1 year old black cat, won’t stop scratching the bottom of our pantry door. Our door isn’t exactly a sturdy door so he has already not only chipped the paint but started to pull out some of the wood. I believe the reason being because that is where we keep the cat food. He usually starts trying to force the door open the door at night after both cats have been fed but there have been random moments when he does it in the middle of the day or in the morning. I don’t believe he’s being starved or anything since they both get fed twice a day a moderate amount of food (maybe a little over a 1/4 cup). Is that too little to feed them and that’s why he keeps scratching that specific door? I’ve tried using an orange type of fabric spray on the door and it doesn’t really work. Should I be keeping the cat food elsewhere? Should I change something in the way I feed them? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be that scratching at the door in an attempt to open it is fun. Could be that he wants food or could be that he just likes the feel of wood on his claws. I would get some light weight wire mesh or aluminum and attach it across the bottom of the door with a screws. If there is a gap at the bottom he is using for leverage put the wire down far enough to cover it. And make sure there is a latch on this closet so no matter how hard he pulls he can’t spring it open.