Cat Won't Stop Pooping Outisde Litterbox

IrritatedCatOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep in mind this has been a problem for nearly a year and I've tried everything under the sun to deal with it. This cat has been to the vet, they see no physical problems with him so it has to be psychological. I keep three litter boxes in the house for easy access and I keep all of them clean. I cannot figure out why this cat keeps not going in the litter boxes but I legit cannot keep a pet in my home that poops wherever he wants. The problem is that he's such a meek and needy cat I also can't rehome him even if he didn't poop wherever. What should I do at this point? I'm out of my mind and I've honestly tried everything.
I've tried behavior therapy, I've tried that cat plugin thing people suggest for anxious cats, I've tried playing with him more, making the litter box more accessible (seriously I have them in places in my house I don't want them just to try to encourage him to go in them but he doesn't). I talked to a person I know who owns 5 cats and is basically an expert on cats I did everything she suggested but that isn't fixing the problem. When I clean up the poop I use stuff that specifically "descents" the area so it's not supposed to attract him to do it again, he just does it somewhere else. I'm at the end of my rope. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this or how to rehome a cat like this or what I should do please tell me.

DebbieLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that does this. He did it for quite some time and I did all the things you did. I thought maybe it was because he was older and had trouble getting in the correct position in the litter box. Last year, he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and put on medication. Once the dosage was corrected, he stopped pooping outside the litter box. It's possible it was just a coincidence but he'd done it for so long that I figured that it was just something I was going to have to live with. I'm not saying that is what is going on with your kitty but it might be something to discuss with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IrritatedCatOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that does this. He did it for quite some time and I did all the things you did. I thought maybe it was because he was older and had trouble getting in the correct position in the litter box. Last year, he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and put on medication. Once the dosage was corrected, he stopped pooping outside the litter box. It's possible it was just a coincidence but he'd done it for so long that I figured that it was just something I was going to have to live with. I'm not saying that is what is going on with your kitty but it might be something to discuss with your vet.
I am going to take him to the vet sometime this week or early next, depending on when I can fit it in but i'll definitely bring that up with him. Thank you.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your nick says it all. I have heard of cats peeing out of the box & only pooping outside of the box due to medical issues or a dirty litter box.

I would suggest marking every where he poops in case it is territory thing. I would give him 2-4 more boxes with cat attract litter, placed in the places that he poops the most. At the same time I would have the vet do blood work (thyroid, cancer, diabetes etc.) & if need be a mood stabilizer. I know people hate going straight to prozac but it beats rehoming him!

Fixing litter box avoidance issues is a long complicated game of clue. Hang in there; you will figure out what your boy is trying to tell you.
EB674BB1-7EB2-45E0-A8EA-421292B77EAD.jpeg