cat wont stop jumping on my desk help..

zappyisfun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year and a half cat wont stop jumping on my computer desk. he only ussally does it when im in BED! so then im laying down and i hear him on my computer desk wacking my computer fan or messing everything up.

i think it's because i leave paper on my desk alot and he instantly knows its there! i will hear him chewing on it. i try to not leave papers on my desk but he still does it sometimes just to onny me?

before u say lock him out of the room that dont worth nether. he will sit there at the door scratching the bottom all night intill i let him in. i had to stop it because he sctratched the whole carpet up in the corner.

how do i get my cat to stop??

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Invest in Boundary spray. It stinks, I warn you, but it will keep cats away from a certain area, and they will learn after a few applications...usually. You can also try double sided sticky tape where she usually jumps up. Some cats don't pay any attention to it though.

One thing I've learned though is...the cleaner the area is, the less interested the cat is. I have a bad habit of letting my kitchen bar get cluttered, and the cats absolutely love it like that! When it is clean, they have no interest and find another mess corner to play in.
You may just want to think about getting a file box or something to store your papers so they aren't laying on your desk. That is probably the main attraction. Yeah, cats are weird

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just like that, regardless of how clean things are. I have done most everything possible to stop my cat from getting on my counters, bookshelves, and my desk to no avail. It really makes me upset. I am thinking I will have to invest in something I saw on here called SSS cat. So expensive though to buy as many as I need but it is my solution I hope.

But if you do a quick search, this subject comes up all the time and there are some good suggestions, lots of them too that you can try with your cat. Sticky tape, playing for an hour at night, foil, sprays, cat trees, and other things.

He is not trying to annoy you either, he probably isn't thinking about you at all.
He is a cat. Cats are only worried what is in it for them, and he likes paper, so he will bother paper. He likes the desk, so he will get on the desk. Simple. These things are easier to do while you are sleeping, so that is the time he will do them. It is probably easier for you to change your behavior and put up your things than change his in the middle of the night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zappyisfun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
its pretty hard to put a computer up high anough so a cat cant get to it tho. :O

being on my desk dont bother me. what bothers me is that my computer is on and he can knock my case down because he nudges it and jumps ON TOP of it. or break the fan. even when it's off he can still knock it down by jumping on it. see my computer is a custom built computer so the fan has a light on it and he goes to it and starts whacking it with his claws. i dont want him jumping on top of my case and it falling 4 feet to the ground and smashing the motherboard or something. or like i said even breaking the fan (or his paw!!)

thanks tho. i will try some of the suggestions

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine too. Mostly when I'm in bed, but not always. You should see the bar arcade I built, but she always makes it up there, tip toeing around the obstacles. I don't even know why. The little ledge above the desk has some tinkets, candles, etc. but when I actually take whatever she's swatting at and put it on the floor, she's not interested.

She knows it's bad. I say, "Maya no! Get down!" And like a child, with her bck toward me she'll make her little chirp like, "yea what?" And continue on...as soon as I get out of bed she jumps off and runs away to her next obsession-the bathroom sink (that's a whole 'nother issue...)

She's 6 months and I feel like I have a child. I live her of course and I try to look at the positive side, that sometimes I really do need to get out of bed and at least saving my computer or Buddha statue is motivation...

I bought her a cat tree and put toys in there. I put her in said cat tree when she jumps on the desk. I tried secluding her in the bathroom (I live in a studio so that's the only way & vet suggested it). However like I said, she loves the bathroom sink so it's not really bad.

Funny though, when she jumps on the desk or Kitchener counter, I don't always know at first. She's sneaky and I just realize, hmm it's quiet, and know where to look. But when she jumps off of things, like the bed or her tree, you'd think I was throwing a boot on the floor. For a 5.6 lb kitten, she sure does make a lot of noise when landing.