Cat won't stop attacking laptop charger!

etp23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat attacks my laptop charger whenever I'm working on my laptop.  Not just plays with it..but full-on attacks it.  Squiggles his butt and pounces on it from across the room and won't stop biting it.  This concerns me for two reasons: first, his safety (I don't want him to get shocked or burn his tongue), and second, I need a working laptop charger!  

I feel like I've tried almost everything - distracting him with other toys, playing with him to tire him out, trying to hide most of the charger so it's out of sight, yelling "no" or making a loud noise, squirting him with a bit of water.  But nothing seems to dissuade him.

(Before someone suggests the bitter apple liquid..I do have that, but I'm worried that he might have already penetrated the charger and left a few small holes in it, so I don't want to put a liquid on the charger and have it seep into the wires and then who knows what...  But also this might only stop him from biting it and not playing with it and grabbing it with his claws, etc. so I don't think that would be a complete solution to the problem anyway.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

For now, I've had to resort to putting him in another room (with his water and litterbox of course) when I have to use the charger.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can think of--not that it would help you much--is that the charger is making a sound that only cats/animals can hear.  Can you try wrapping the charger (not the cord, just the charger) in a towel or something to deaden the sound?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wrapping a charger could cause it to overheat and could cause a fire just the same as getting liquid in it. Spray the bitter apple on a Q-tip or cotton pad and wipe it onto the charger. This can also be done with Tabasco or anything else you try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

etp23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,  sorry just for clarification, when I said charger, I meant the whole thing - the actual charger and the cord.  He attacks the whole thing but tries to bite the cord especially and grabs it with his claws.

Spraying the bitter apple on a cotton pad and wiping it onto the cord would have the same effect - allowing the liquid to possibly seep into the electrical wires.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amazon has cable shields for sale. Or you might try wrapping the cord like you said. I was just concerned that the transformer get enough air to it.