cat won't let us sleep!

minihart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey everyone,

a little over 3 weeks ago i adopted a 1 year old cat named Lily. i knew it would take her some time to adjust to her new home (especially without a cat friend like in her previous one), but after almost 4 weeks i'm getting concerned.

she's a vocal girl, but at times it can be ridiculous. in the wee hours of the morning she'll wander around moaning and meowing, and i knew to expect this. the problem was that it's been happening every night since i got her. she wakes me up constantly to play with her, and when i take her off the bed she wanders around and moans. during the day she's better but she still walks around meowing.

how long is normal for adjusting to a new home? i'm worried she may be bored without a friend, but getting another cat isn't an option. i need to get some sleep, and i'm not sure what to do.

thanks!
julia

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat was like that when we adopted him (1.5 yo). We don't let him into the bedroom and he'd meow and wake us up. We adopted a 2nd cat 2 weeks later and he hasn't done it since...

Sorry it may not help with your situation but I have no other idea... we did try playing with him for 20min before we went to bed to tire him out, it helped some, but n ot 100%.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like normal cat stuff to me.
You can try getting some toys on a string or a laser and trying to play before bedtime for 30 min to an hour and also feeding her a good meal afterwards right before you go to sleep.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Play with her more. Play with her at the same time every night. Just add it to your evening routine.

Cats love routine. She will soon come to anticipate her special one on one time with you. When she sees you turn off the computer, or brush your teeth or whatever, she will know her own time is coming.

This will go a long way toward helping her feel settled and at home. And you will bond with her deeply, doing this playing/grooming session every night.

Install some feliway plug in diffusers to help her feel more secure. Get some rescue remedy and rub a little on her face at bed time.

Put a bird feeder outside a window so she has mental stimulation during the day while she is alone.

Poor kitty, you said she was with another cat before, it's a shame they had to be separated. She is probably missing her companion very much. She's lost her home and her people and her kitty friend. She needs lots of attention and love from you to make up for it.

In time she will settle in.

Welcome to TCS, please keep us updated on your Lily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minihart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks guys. i have started the routine of playing before bedtime, but i'm sure it's hard for her without her friend (they were two rescues being fostered by the same woman).

my biggest problem is probably that i live in an open-concept space, so i can't close her out of the bedroom at night. but i'll keep at everything else and hopefully she'll settle in.

thanks again!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so glad to read this. She'll adjust, eventually, to being an only, under your tender loving care.

And you don't really want her shut out of the bedroom anyway. One of the joys of living with cats is sleeping with them. Purring is the nicest lullaby of all.

Watch out though, because as Ernest Hemingway said "One cat just leads to another"

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Sounds like normal cat stuff to me.
But we have a slightly different problem. Alley is a very loud purrer. OK, spell check says purrer is not a word but I think you get my point. So loud that DW cannot sleep when she gets in her face. Alley usually then gets pushed over in my face where her purring puts me right to sleep!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww..... thank you for adopting this kitty.

We had to separate brothers that were VERY close. It broke our hearts, but we could NOT find them a home together. And though we have other cats, they were not particularly friendly. Poor Billy kept trying to headbump or cuddle with them and he got chased, or hisses or bops in return.

I started leaning down (if he was on the bed or furniture) or getting down on my hands and knees if he was on the floor, and headbumping him with my head - and "petting" him with my head (running it down the length of his body). In the end, this really got his purr motor going, and now he walks up to me, steps up on my lap, and leans his head up to rub his cheek on mine. It is the sweetest thing ever.

I love all the advice you've gotten. Your kitty may think you're a bit nuts at first if you try to pet her with your head... but it may be just what she needs.

As to catching up on your sleep while she transitions....

Do you move around a lot when you sleep? What about putting in a headset with tunes low? Or do you have a stereo - maybe some peaceful harp music playing quietly while you try to sleep? Or ear plugs, like for swimming or shooting?

I know she's not stressing so much as basically missing her pal.... but maybe these would help?

http://www.catfaeries.com/music-for-cats.html
http://www.musicmypet.com/