Cat wont leave me alone

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zebra will not leave me alone. It doesn't matter what I am doing. If I am watching tv, she is sitting on me. If I am on the computer, she is sitting on my lap or meowing at me until I let her sit on my lap. When I am in the bath, she sits outside the door meowing. When I go to bed, she sits outside the door meowing and scratching at the door. I don't mind when she sits on me, but sometimes it is annoying and I put her down but she just comes right back up. She will jump up the back of the chair and crawl down me if I wont let her jump right up on me. She also purrs so loud that I can't hear the tv. When I am trying to sleep, she keeps me awake...either with her purring if she is in bed with me or her meowing and scratching the door outside the room. She will not sit with anyone else, my boyfriend tries to pick her up and she jumps down and comes back to me.

Is there any way to make her leave me alone sometimes, without making her stop completely?

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol...this is a cute topic. I know it's annoying sometimes (well, a lot of the time, it sounds like), but she just sounds like she loves you so much!! I don't know how to lessen her wanting your attention, unless you're willing to maybe get her a little male (fixed) playmate that's a little younger than her to keep her busy/entertained. Is she your only cat? How old is she? Is she spayed?

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is the same way. I call her my stalker kitty and I think she does all of that just to tick me off. Aint buying the love thing.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have any toys? Whenever my cats are bothering me I throw them a toy and they start playing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 3 cats. The other 2 are male and older. One is almost 2 and the other is approximately 5. Zebra is 1. She's not spayed, just because I have not had the money to do it yet, but both male cats are neutered.

She has toys, but isn't very interested in them. We have 6 of the balls with the bell inside around but she hides them. Theres also a toy hanging on the doorknob thats a cat and has long legs and has bells on the end of its legs but she doesnt play with it very often.

I love it when she lays with me, but sometimes its too much. Especially when I am trying to get ready for work and she wants to play.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Miki. Miki, if you let her in the same room with you, will not stop wanting attention. I made the mistake of letting her sleep in the bed with me for the first two nights she was home. I got maybe 3 hours of sleep each night. The rest of the hours were spent petting her and playing with her. Its kinda cute, but rather annoying at times.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of mine is like that. He was extreme for the first month or so- I called him "Moley Moley" a la Austin Powers as he resembled nothing more than a gigantic black mole attached to my neck. It has leveled off a bit lately as he has gotten more secure

I keep a brush by my favorite chair and brush him when he gets too annoying- that'll get rid of him!

reagant999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two litter mates. The male has always been like that and within the past two months, the female has become much more of an attention giver. The male used to have to be under my chin or the center of atention. I could not watch TV, work on the PC or talk on the phone. It took a lot of work but when I had and activity to undertake and he wanted attention, I put him exactly where I wanted him to go. If I was on the PC, he was allowed in the room but as soon as a paw went on the desk, I put him on a small chair near by. When he wanted to paw at the phone, I sat him in my lap. When he wanted to lay under my chin (he way 16 pounds and still likes to try, I moved him where I wanted him to be. After repetition, he knows his place and where he needs to be. His sister has become more needy and I am taking the same approach with her. Both are around me on a constant basis and I would not have it any other way but they have learned to be near without interfering. The things that work for me are a slight hiss and a tiny little tap on the nose, like a very light paw tap. It is how they were disciplined by their mother.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't helpful advice at all, but she sounds like a puppy!! Isabelle is developing a similar habit, so I can share your annoyance. I want her on my lap, just not all the time!

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the times you'd like a little break, have you tried putting some catnip on a toy stuffed mouse? That migiht take her attention a little longer than just a plain toy. I'm typing this sidseways as Little Big Man is insisting on laying on one of my arms across where my keyboard was LOL so what do I know? LOL)

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Etain is just like this, all she ever wants is food and petting. She's not playful so toys don't distract her, she likes to be brushed, so that won't work either. I love her to pieces, but she's very needy and demanding (if you're drinking something and she thinks your hand would be put to better use petting her, she'll ram the glass with her head to knock it out of your hand and then give you big wistfull eyes that say, "if you loved me, you'd be petting me"). The only thing I've been able to think of is when I don't want her to jump up on me or something else for that matter, I gently scoot her off and at the same time say "down" in a very firm manner, careful to use the same tone of voice each time. It may be a futile effort, but I'm hoping that with a few more years of patience she'll relent

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Maverick is like this.

You just have to remember that you have a right to space and time by yourself.

Just think how annoyed your kitty would be if you constantly disturbed her naps or eating time?

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she always like this, or does it happen in cycles? Could she be in heat? Just thought I'd ask just in case...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Zebra might be in heat, but that doesnt change how she acts. She also doesn't like catnip, so I can't use that to distract her. I constantly put her down, and she just jumps right back up.

ryedale kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your post. I occa have a cat come in and he won't leave me alone. I'll use your suggestions and see what happens.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you're going through. My cat Butch is the same way. He's always following me around, likes to ride around on my shoulders like a parrot, jumps up on me as soon as I sit down or try to do some work and he cries all the time to get my attention. I call him Sir Talks-a-Lot. Even right now as I'm writing this he's sitting there staring at me. He'll jump up her and just plop on me if I ignore him long enough.

When I got Butch and his sister they were just kittens and they both hid under the couch all the time. So I laid my mattress out in the living room and slept there every night for a week so they could get used to me. Finally Butch started sleeping on my chest with his head tucked under my chin purring like a freight train and his sister followed suit. Coda (the girl) is not as cuddly as Butch so she just slept on my legs. They are 2 1/2 now and it's taken me that long to get her to warm up to me, but she's still stand-offish and doesn't like to be held.

Butch isn't as cuddly as he used to be since I got him fixed. I've come to figure out that he still holds a bit of a grudge against me for that traumatic vet visit. He's started coming around, but when he's sitting on me now it isn't for very long and he rarely sleeps on me anymore.

marcusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marcus is one of those overly friendly cats as well. I have taught him "no" and "over here". When he gets to clingy, I just tap the arm of my chair and say, "Over here, kitty." I'd guess about 70 percent of the time he goes. If he settles there I give him lots of pets. He likes to stay in the same room I'm in, and he loves sleeping on my bed.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh I can relate!  Shortstack will NOT leave me alone for a second.  I joked with hubby last night about getting a baby Snugli and just attaching him to me.  If I walk away from him he grabs my foot with his claws and tries to pull me back.  He could care less about toys, catnip...the only time I get peace is when I'm feeding him.  If I do put him off of me and get up to do something, I get those puss-in-boots eyes like I broke his heart.