Cat Won’t Eat

Auntiemood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 year old cat will eat only treats. I have tried every cat food, but she won’t eat any of them. Will she starve if I stop giving her treats?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unless the treats you are feeding her are 100% nutritionally complete, then she isn't getting balanced meals. Over the long run, this CAN definitely effect her health, not to mention she probably isn't eating enough to maintain her weight. Is this a new behavior? If so, perhaps she is need of a Vet visit. Something may be up with her health. She is a senior cat and many things could be happening to cause this issue.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - welcome!!
Yes, she might get really stubborn about it - when was she last in at the vet?
In the meantime, take a look at this...
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

I don't know where you're located, but some other things that aren't mentioned in the article that you might try as toppers or mixed into food are goat milk, Kitten milk replacer, bonito flakes, and mackerel. Also there are commercial foods like Applaws that could help get her back on track, although Applaws isn't a complete food in that it doesn't have taurine et al.

Fortiflora is another good option, it's sprinkled on food, it isn't the greatest probiotic but it can work well to get a cat eating again.

Hang in there, good luck and keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Auntiemood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I think she has been eating too many treats. She won’t eat wet food. I’ll also get a new bowl. This site is terrific.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This site is terrific
As are you, for being a caring cat person and coming here looking for answers.
Something else you could try along with a new bowl, is putting that bowl and possibly a second one in different locations from her usual eating place.

Last edited: