Cat Won't Eat Properly After Having Teeth Removed

lynne180

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, our two year old cat recently had surgery to remove all of his teeth due to stomatitis. Prior to that he had ten teeth removed in the hope that it would solve the problem, but unfortunately it didn't, so two weeks ago we took him in to get the rest taken out. He dealt with it very well, he even ate two bowls of food at the vets the same day, before we collected him. His appetite was good and he seemed to be managing to eat without any problems at all, but two days ago he didn't eat very much, which is unusual because he loves his food. Yesterday was the same, he just picked at his food during the day but he did eat a bit later on in the evening. Today he's ate a very small amount of boiled chicken, which is normally his favourite thing in the entire world, but he lost interest very quickly - we added some of the broth it was cooked in but he didn't want that, either. He's very quiet and just wants to be on his own, which isn't that unusual as he's not a sociable cat, but he doesn't even want a cuddle, which he normally enjoys. He had to have stitches in his gums as he had very big roots on some of his teeth and they were difficult to remove and I'm wondering if they are starting to irritate. I think he's hungry because now and then he runs to the food cupboard and back to his bowl then winds himself around my legs asking for food, but when I put it out he just leaves it. I haven't been able to take him to the vet as it's the weekend, but we're going to take him in tomorrow morning. i was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problems and did it get sorted out?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I've not dealt with this, but can you try giving him homemade pedialyte or non-onion/non-garlic baby food? Tuna and tuna juice? Pate? Even just the gravy from shreds/chunk wet food? or is it simply everything he can't get into his mouth? poor little guy - hang in there!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So it's been two weeks since the surgery? Sometimes even having ALL their teeth removed doesn't resolve the stomatitis :frown:. I'd definitely get him in tomorrow to see if that's the issue. He may still have unresolved mouth issues. I sure hope not, but if so, askyour Vet to check into a special syrup that was developed by a cat dentist in Dallas. Let us know if you need more information about it. We've had several cats here on TCS who've had good results with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne180

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for the replies. He still hasn't eaten so I'm going to phone the vet first thing in the morning to get him an appointment. The mad thing is, our other cat seems to be off his food, too, but he's still acting normal and has bags of energy. I know cats can be fickle but it's not like them so I'm worried. I'll give an update when we've seen the vet. xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne180

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Saw the vet today and she said it looks as though his gum around one of the stitches has become infected. He's on painkillers and anti inflammatory meds . She's taken the remaining stitches out and cleaned his mouth out and sent a swab of the infected area off for tests so that she can give most effective antibiotic for his condition. He's eaten LOADS tonight and seems much happier. Good news is, the rest of his mouth is healing well ☺ oh, and our other cat seems fine today too