Cat Won't Eat - Long Story

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody. I've been lurking these forums for the past few days hoping that an old post might be able to help, but I haven't seen anything like my case, so I thought I'd sign up and try this out myself.

Last Saturday, our cat Bliss (female 7/yo DSH) hurt herself on her back paw. She ripped open the webbing and also hurt her pawpad some and it had to be glued and wrapped up. At first we couldn't find out how she did this because our house is very clean and safe and she is 100% indoors, but much later I found dried blood on a wicker chair in my room which she often jumps on and I think one of the wicker sticks might have hurt her. I'll probably get rid of it, but that's not the problem.

We took her to the vet. They lightly sedated her so they could fix her paw, wrapped it up tight in something like a cast almost just to make sure she didn't mess with it. We took her home and she ate VORACIOUSLY. Like inhaled the stuff, and then shoved her head in the bowl like she wished there were more.

The next day, we gave her some antibiotic via oral syringe. My parents threw it away so I don't know the name of it, sorry, I'll try to see if I can find it later. The stuff was vile. Bliss struggled like I have never seen her struggle before when we tried to give it to her. When I finally shot it in her mouth, she began to foam at the mouth violently. It was like a child's baking soda volcano science experiment. I'm not exaggerating. I've never seen anything like it before in my life, and I've given cats medicine this way before. My last cat always took his medicine like a champ and never reacted this way.

Ever since that day, she will not eat. We have tried everything. Tuna, chicken, Fancy Feast, Parmesan cheese, and today even thanksgiving turkey. Last night we took her in to the vet because we know that when cats don't eat their liver starts to fail (we lost a cat a long time ago for the same reason- stopped eating, got liver disease, died) and they said that her blood tests showed her liver is still normal, and that as far as they can tell, there is nothing wrong with her. They think the antibiotic disagreed with her (duh). They gave her an anti-emetic, because what little we have tried to feed her has come back up, and some Mirtazapine, which is supposed to make her appetite better.

She's still not eating. I just made her a warm plate of turkey, which she thoroughly sniffed, and then just looked at me and cried. It's like she really wants to eat but can't. She does that thing cats do where she pretends to bury it for later.

Otherwise, her fur isn't as glossy and nice as usual. I don't think she's maintaining it. She also LOVES to run around and play with toys, but she won't play either. She finds some place to lie down and just sort of looks dejected. Sometimes she cries. She doesn't come to the couch to cuddle with me like usual. However, she is still using the litter box correctly and her pees and poops seem normal. She doesn't hide, but she doesn't seem happy either.

Any help or advice? If she doesn't start eating again within the day we are going to have to take her in to be hospitalized. We know that cats can't go very long without eating because of their livers.

Thanks guys.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Possibly toxicity. Maybe the vet goofed or she has an allergy. I would double check that the vet didn't accidently give you the wrong thing off the shelf or something. Or perhaps she has a fever and possibly an infection from her wound.

For poisoning, I think they flush the system. Try to get her to drink fresh water. She may need subcutaneous fluids to help flush it out and rehydrate her, which I am surprised the vet did not consider.

My cat froths at all medicines--he is so dramatic. Your cat could be feeling dramatic because of the wound and cast. I would keep offering canned food and to let her lay low. My cats seem willing to lick gravy from Fancy Feast when all else fails.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat had to take an antibiotic for 10 days, it was a liquid that I mixed into his food. He is really picky about meds in his food, but he didn't even notice it. I can't remember the name of it though. Were you able to get a different antibiotic?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C carebare they did give her an IV when we took her in yesterday, maybe that flushed her? She doesn't have a fever or infection, her cast is off and the wound is healed nicely. She doesn't groom it or mess with it.

M maggiedemi they just decided to cut the antibiotic because the wound has healed nicely on it's own. I'm going to try and find the name of what it was. It was a milky white liquid.

Update: She has decided to cuddle with me. She came on the couch and is purring and licking my fingers and face. Still hasn't eaten though.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she like catnip? I've sprinkled a little catnip on Demi's food when he wouldn't eat.

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M maggiedemi She is meh about it. Normally she needs no incentive to play so we don't use it that often.

Update: the antibiotic was called "Clavamox"

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if there is some internal infection that they can't see though. I don't know how they would test for that though.

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C carebare

M maggiedemi

Happy update! After a long, fruitful cuddle session last night, Bliss improved dramatically. She was munching on a little kibble last night, and now is taking in a more normal amount of food. Still just kibble, hilariously, when we have offered her all sorts of special treats, but I don't care what she eats as long as it goes down and doesn't come back up.

After several days of not eating, we are overjoyed to see her act like herself. She is snuggling and is showing interest in her toys again. We won't lose another cat to liver disease.

Thank you for your support during a scary time! It really helped to talk to someone.