Cat won't eat due to stress

karenlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need all your wisdom now. I have a 13 year old cat that has stopped eating. We have been to the vet 3 times in a month. She has perfect blood work and we just did abdominal x-rays and abdominal ultrasound which both turned up absolutely no findings. Both vets we have seen believe this is a reaction to stress.

Let me give you some background. For the last 15 years I have been at home most of the time. I have been self-employed and was able to spend a lot of time with the cats (we have 3). They are all very bonded to me as I am constantly holding & kissing and playing with them. My husband is allergic to them to a degree and although he loves them, he can't pick them up and hold them.

In March of this year my husband was downsized and is now home all day. I've had to pick up more work and am gone all day and part of the evening so our situation has turned upside down. That's why the vets think it's a stress reaction. The cats just don't understand what's going on. They've basically "lost" their "mom". They're all having some reaction to this mess but Mittens has stopped eating. She still comes to let us know when it's time for meals, but then she takes a few licks and walks away. DH went out and bought a bunch of new foods and treats to try to entice her, but she just won't budge. Their regular food is Natural Balance and Wellness canned food and Natural Balance dry for treats.

The vet prescribed Mirtazapine and we gave her the first dose yesterday. They said if she's not eating by Mon. we will need to start force-feeding or have an esophageal tube put in to feed her, otherwise we'll be dealing with liver disease.

Please help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Had you tried with a Feliway diffuser? It may help.

There are some psychopharmaca too, for separation situations. they are taken of for dogs, but they are possibly useful for cats too... I shall try to look about it.

But do try Feliway first, if you hadnt done it earlier.

Music theraphy, why not? Classical music, preferably harp, is good for fostered semiferales... May work with depressed cats too.

Do you have access to goat milk? Good nourishment for cats. As she eats little, it is essential what little she eats is really first rate.

How is it, is salomonella on eggs a problem in your country? if not, raw egg yolk with this goat milk (or for example, with minced meat) is good.
If salmononella on eggs IS a problem - dont experiment...

Good luck!

ps.
One interesting "natural" preparate is Zylkene. I presume it is the same name in all countries. Do you have it in your country /some net-shop you can use? continuing...

The psychopharmaca I thought on is Clomicalm (klomipramin) - it is though for dogs from beginning, but it can be used for cats too, I refreshed my memory now.
Your veterinarian should know about it if you ask them and prescribe the exact dosage.

Psychopharmaca is never the first solution, but in difficult cases may be a good way for quickly make a difference, to break up the bad condition, buying you more time. During the time you can find other solutions.

ps 2. Bathing the cat, or even stroke it with a damp cloth, is good for lessening the allergy-problems. Had you tried such?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karenlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks StefanZ. I forgot to mention that we're going out today to get the Feliway. I will look into the other things you mentioned. I'm not too crazy about rx meds. We're already doing Mitrazapine which should help with depression as well as being an appetite stimulant. Don't want to add to that at this point. Will check out Zylkene.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy some wet food and put a couple of cans of it in the blender to really puree it. I picked up at Petsmart a syringe and am syringe feeding my kitten (due to medical issues).
Try chicken broth or tuna water too.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plain meat baby food (no garlic or onion) may tempt her. I understand people often trap ferals with Kentucky Fried Chicken (taking the skin off first) - subject to what your vet says, I think the idea is to try anything, even if not 'good' to kick start the eating.

God bless you for trying so hard, even as your own lives have been turned upside down - I can just see your husband buying one of every can of food in the store!

Oh, hey, once an e-vet told me that Friskies wet is a great thing to keep in the pantry as it's like McDonald's fries to a cat - almost irresistable. Again, sometimes you have to go with whatever is most tempting, even if it's not in the regular diet.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Stefan says, goats milk with beaten egg yolk can be a great appetite stimulant and is very nourishing - I have often used this mix on orphan kittens. Also, most cats love yoghourt and fresh cream cheese (fromage frais), both of which are low in lactose so safe for cats. Good luck, you are going through a tough time all round.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by RarePuss

Try low quality wet, like Fancy Feast. Just like fast food for us.
Yes, low quality cat food does has lotsa of the so called digest. It is not necessary good, but it is tasty for cats. This is why cats are supposed to love low quality cat food, immediately preferring it above high quality cat food... *shocked*

But this also means it can sometimes be used as an appetizer for cats without appetite, and start getting them to eat.