Cat won't eat, can't go to the Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old, mostly outdoor cat hasn't eaten in about 3 days. She’ll drink water. I’ve tried giving her her regular Purina Hairball dry food, some tuna fish and salmon but she has no interest. No obvious pain but she moves slowly. During the day she finds some shade in the woods/thick shrubs and stays there for 12 or so hours then at night she moves to a shed. She’s had no-eat experiences in the distant past but nothing that’s lasted this long. She had an annual rabies shot in April, Bravecto every 3 months (last time was two months ago) and Safeguard de-wormer (fenbendazole) also about 2 months ago. She won’t eat Drontal and she won’t let me do any topicals. Is there some kind of over-the-counter liquid nutrient drops I could add to her water?
I can't bring her to a Vet because I can't coax her into a carry cage with food because she doesn’t want food and she has never let me pick her up. What to do?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she a stray cat? Is it possible someone else is feeding her? To help determine if something is wrong and to bond with her bring her inside. There are many ways she can get sick from being outside. Observing her use the litterbox is one way to determine if something is wrong.cats cannot be without food for that long

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mostly outdoor means that she does not come in the house, but only the shed? There is the possibility of a drop trap, depending on specifics. I have seen some cats sit under them without food, thinking that they are a shade structure. But this is definitely a two man job if you have access to one. Local rescues may have them and could tell you how to use it.

Will the cat come for any really tasty food, like KFC. Putting that in the carrier might be a possibility.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is only one way in/out of the shed, get someone to help you, block the access, and trap her when she is inside. If she is truly not eating, you definitely have to find a way to trap her.

If not KFC, a lot of cats tend to like baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) - even when they are unwilling to eat other foods. Set up that for her in the shed, or even in her carrier - or both. You might, once you would have her trapped in the shed, offer her one of these foods and maybe she will come to you for it.

Or you could try that during the day and set some out for her to see if she will eat it, and then offer more if she does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maggie101,
Thanks. No, she's not a stray but she's the daughter of a stray I adopted. I'm in rural Tennessee, no one else is feeding her. I'm on good terms with her mother but I was unable to socialize with the sick cat early in her life so she's not very trusting of me as far as touching goes.
Fionasmom,
Thanks. No, she has no desire for food at all. I have 3 cats, all originally unwanted, they just showed up. I feed them twice a day in the kitchen and often let them hang around in the house during the day if they want but at night I prefer to have them sleep outside in an enclosed shed unless one of them is sick, injured or it's below freezing and then they have the option of spending the night in the house or the shed. They usually prefer the enclosed shed. I have the shed set up with boxes of straw, large Coleman type coolers with 2 entry/exit holes and a small commercial swing door so they can let themselves in and out.
The sick cat came into the kitchen very briefly this morning. Later, she was on the lawn crying with tears. I tried then to catch her for the first time by grabbing her scruff but I was unsuccessful and she waddled off into the brush. I'm thinking she won't survive another 24 hours but what do I know. My current plan is to lock her in the kitchen if she comes in this evening and then early tomorrow morning try to catch her (I bought heavy duty gloves today!) and place her in a large Hav-A- Hart trap and bring her to the Vet.
Feebysowner,
If I don't corral her in the kitchen this evening I'll put the Hav-A-Hart trap in the shed. I just came back from the store looking for Gerber stage 2 baby food meat you suggested. I saw lots of Gerber stuff but nothing that said stage 2. I wound up getting Gerber Toddler Pick-ups which has chicken and carrots and Ravioli in chicken broth but I really don't think she'll eat anything.
I'm here alone so I'll have to do the best I can by myself.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
All the above members have given you good advice. Fingers crossed she comes into the kitchen tonight as she really needs nourishment and to see your vet. :crossfingers: As long as the Gerber baby food has no seasonings that's the most important thing. The stronger the smell of the food the more she is likely to eat it so anything that will entice her appetite is what's important. Best of luck, please keep us updated on her condition.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just came back from the store looking for Gerber stage 2 baby food meat you suggested. I saw lots of Gerber stuff but nothing that said stage 2. I wound up getting Gerber Toddler Pick-ups which has chicken and carrots and Ravioli in chicken broth but I really don't think she'll eat anything.
I have never tried something like the Gerber Stage 3 meat sticks (little sausages), but I suppose they are not far off from the Stage 2 meats from what I see in the ingredients. I suppose - not to send you back to the store - but, when smashed up, they could be a substitute?

And, yes to echo the others, please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly, the cat has died. She didn't come to the kitchen last evening and she didn't go to the shed last night. I found her by the edge of the woods this morning.
Thanks to all.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds as if something that might have been out of your control had happened to her. When a cat passes, we lock the thread out of respect. If you would like to post in our Crossing the Bridge forum about your cat, you are more than welcome to do so.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.