Cat Woke Up Violently, Help

jein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 wks ago my 11 yr old cat Fancy randomly woke up out of a deep sleep in her bed by flipping hard like she was being attacked. She didn't make any noise, just flailed like something was attacking her, still asleep. I shouted her name and she woke up and was breathing a bit heavily but otherwise seemed ok.

I don't know if she was having a bad dream (she gets pretty animated while dreaming) or if she had her nose mashed into her bedding, preventing her from breathing good. She's BAD to do that. One time years ago she did the same thing; flipped hysterically out of a dead sleep while under the blankets til she could get her head free. Seemed like she couldn't breathe.

Yesterday she did it again though, but on my bed, sleeping again. I shouted her name and she snapped out of it right away and walked to me looking very sleepy and was wobbly (she had idiopathic vestibular syndrome many years ago and I'm thinking since she seemed to be half asleep that's why her balance was worse then since she usually has bad balance anyway). Once she was good and awake she was running as well as can be expected after some treats...

I just want someone to reassure me this is not a seizure or something. I'm sitting here having a severe panic attack because I always convince myself of the worst case scenario. I've looked at videos of cats seizing and went to Dr. Google, and she didn't drool, urinate, or shake/vibrate at ALL. It might've lasted 2 seconds then she woke up responding to my voice and just seemed confused as to why I was upset. Two cats in my household have been fighting a lot lately and it causes Fancy stress and I'm thinking it was a bad dream, or maybe her fight-or-flight kicking in because she couldn't breathe good?

Advice? My mother told me she had cats with seizures in her life and it doesn't sound like that at all but told me to wait and see if it happened again, but this is causing me to be sick with anxiety. I can't stop going to "what if this-what if that". :(

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't have experience with seizures-but I would call your vet and tell them what happened and see what they say.

Me personally=I monitor- food intake and outtake. energy. quality of sleep. If there's any abnormals in these functions then a vet visit should be done...sometimes they have dreams..I don't know why your cat had these issues upon waking...To me it does sound like dreaming more than anything...

Is there any changes in her habits lately? Any changes in your home= your work schedule, new visitors etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have experience with seizures-but I would call your vet and tell them what happened and see what they say.

Me personally=I monitor- food intake and outtake. energy. quality of sleep. If there's any abnormals in these functions then a vet visit should be done...sometimes they have dreams..I don't know why your cat had these issues upon waking...To me it does sound like dreaming more than anything...

Is there any changes in her habits lately? Any changes in your home= your work schedule, new visitors etc?
ty for your reply. No not at all, there's nothing abnormal or different, and she seems totally fine and doesn't have a history of anything. The only thing different lately is my other two cats fighting more than normal and I know that freaks Fancy out.
Otherwise her food/water intake and bathroom habits are all normal.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Maybe someone else will chime in. I would just keep an eye on her and see if you can redirect the cats who fight..I know some kitties will never get along..sometimes making a few places into cat beds like shelves or a box under a table will help each one have their own area to go to get away from the other cat..In my house my young un chases the old cat occasionally..so I try to play with the young one to wear her out so she isn't being a pest...