cat with possible IBD & Allergies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

DonnaJean, just checking in to see how your cat is doing. Any update?

I'm dealing with similar issues with my Sebastian and am revisiting some old resources.
Hi,

Boo is doing pretty well at this time..

Here is the routine we follow everyday :

1) first thing in morning (about 6:00 am) I give Boo 1/4 can of Nature's Variety instinct Limited ingredient diet with extra water added to make it soupy. I crumble up some Pure bites Freeze dried turkey treats over it (make sure the food is not cold)

2) hour later I get out the slippery elm by solaray(capsule) & Thorne Research animal health B complex Vet. I dump the whole capsule of Slippery elm in a little bowl, add 1/4 of the b-complex, add enough water to make a loose paste mixture and give him half of it in a syringe.

3) four hours later I put down a LITTLE dry Nature's Variety instinct LID, sometime crumbling a little freeze dried treat over it

4)about 1:30 -2:00 PM I repeat step one, sometimes leaving out the freeze dried treat.

5) about 6-6:30 I try the canned again, if not interested I offer the dry. about an hour later I give the rest of the slippery elm mixture.

6) about 9:30 PM I put down a little dry to get him through the night..

I have tried the lamb in nature's variety instinct LID canned but he is not interested in it, turkey seems to be his mainstay.

I am going to try the rabbit LID canned sometime soon but he probably won't eat it either..

I have only had so far one throw up, but I believe it was due to him eating too fast..it was undigested food.

I think it helps to feed small amounts throughout the day if you can, elevating the bowl helps also.

keeping the stomach coated  and having food  on their stomach is important also because i think they produce a lot of acid and the slippery elm helps to coat and sooth the digestive tract, it is also an anti-inflammatory and completely non -toxic...

The scratching has almost stopped, he might have a food intolerance to either chicken or grains...that is why I chose a limited ingredient diet like Nature's Variety Instinct.

Spook, the Struvite prone cat is another story which I am going to post about....

The B-complex by Thorne research, it has all the purer forms of the B vitamins (that way the body does not have to convert  the vitamins into it's useable form)

B-1 assists muscles and nerves by converting glucose into energy

B-2 Promotes normal growth, development and building cats hair coat

Niacin assists enzymes to properly function, opens up blood vessels and is a strong detoxifier

B-12, this is a very important vitamin, helps to support adrenal function, maintain a healthy nervous system , aid in the production of DNA and RNA and the production of neurotransmitters.

It affects the development and maintenance of red blood cells and nerve cells.It is needed to prevent Anemia, required for proper digestion of food and the metabolism of carbs and fats.

B-12 deficiency can cause poor cell formation in the digestive tract and lead to nausea, vomiting , loss of appetite, poor absorption of food, constipation, diarrhea, gas, weight loss, fatigue, lethargy, abdominal pain.

I know it is said that oral  B-12 supplementation does not work as well as injectible for animals with IBD but I think it helps.. especially when it is in the form that is not synthetic and does not has to be converted into the methyl form..

Most injections are in the Cobalamin (sp?) form, not in the Methylcobalamin form so I wonder sometimes how much is actually utilized...just a thought...

I know what I have been doing helps with Boo's Appetite and energy levels....

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Also...

Franksmom, how is your cat doing? Is he still on the Vitality Science supplements? I was thinking of trying something like that to perk Sebastian up while we work through a diet plan.

Denice, is Patches still doing well on the steriod?

I appreciate any updates you may have. Sebastian hasn't eaten on his own in 24 hours. I had to syringe feed him his dinner last night. He was at the vet overnight this past weekend with more x-rays, another CBC, another pancreatic snap test, and supportive care. 
When Boo had the pancreatitis the vet sent me home with Pepcid, I wonder if they would be helpful because I believe sometimes with Pancreatitis/ IBD acid plays a part in them feeling nauseated....Before I had Boo walk up to the food and just turn away, I read that is because they are feeling nauseated .... Boo's dose was 5mg of a pepcid (plain pepcid) once daily.

The slippery elm works better I believe for coating the stomach, relieving nausea, helps with diarrhea and constipation, it also has anti- inflammatory properties... Ideal dosage, 1/8-1/4 capsule once -twice a day... mix with water, thicker for diarrhea, thinner if no bowel issues or if they are constipated....

It is the only herb that is truly known to be non toxic to animals, it also has nutrients in it as people used it centuries ago and survived just on slippery elm when they had no food...

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, DonnaJean, for sharing what is working for Boo (that's actually my other cat's name 
). And I'm glad to hear he is doing well right now!  

Unfortunately, I am not able to give Sebastian small meals throughout the day. I work full time. The best I can do is the morning before leaving for work, in the evening after getting home from work, and just before bed.

I do have to figure out a "plan" for Sebastian to include Pepcid and SEB. I know SEB can interefere with absorption of other medications, but I want to limit the stress of additional pilling or syringing. He won't eat it in food.

Also, is the Thorne B-complex by prescription only? I had come across their website and many of their pet-specific products are only available with a prescription.

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much, DonnaJean, for sharing what is working for Boo (that's actually my other cat's name 
). And I'm glad to hear he is doing well right now!  

Unfortunately, I am not able to give Sebastian small meals throughout the day. I work full time. The best I can do is the morning before leaving for work, in the evening after getting home from work, and just before bed.

I do have to figure out a "plan" for Sebastian to include Pepcid and SEB. I know SEB can interefere with absorption of other medications, but I want to limit the stress of additional pilling or syringing. He won't eat it in food.

Also, is the Thorne B-complex by prescription only? I had come across their website and many of their pet-specific products are only available with a prescription.
If you give SEB one hour after a medication you will be fine according to what I have researched and read.

The Thorne B-Complex is not a prescription and can be ordered online.....