Cat with no toes on her paw

blankblank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so I’ve got a cat that was born with twisted legs. I took her to the vet when she was few days old and she was made to wear a cast with a wooden splint inside of it to straighten her legs.. unfortunately when I took her back to the vet a week after, turns out that the splint had injured her leg and the blood stopped supplying to her toes.. the vet tried to save it with lazer but it was already dead and eventually fell on its own.. so over the months I tried to make her wear shoe/sock with padding on her leg but she would take it right off.. and I was told I couldn’t do anything about it unless I make her a custom amputee accessory which I can’t.. so I left it however her leg now seems to bend and go outwards when she walks.. it always sits outwards even when she sits.. it just kept getting worse over time, I was told it is so she balances herself.. she’s already almost a year old now and it makes me cringe to see how badly her leg bends and I am scared it would just get even worse.. I cant find similar situations on the internet so I am hoping to receive suggestions here on what I can do.. should I buy better shoes? (Not sure if it would do anything) but is there something else? Thank you for reading FAC60E74-E555-4756-8004-B0B9FC8ED5E0.jpeg

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she a candidate for amputation? Kitties function well with 3 legs. I'd definitely seek a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blankblank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she a candidate for amputation? Kitties function well with 3 legs. I'd definitely seek a second opinion.
When she first lost her toes the vet said she might need to get her whole leg amputated as she might start walking on her bone and eventually it would get exposed but that didn’t happen as her leg formed a thick layer of skin.. maybe amputating it could be an option but she uses her leg I’m not sure if that’s worse for her.. :/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - and, oh my! Have you had her evaluated by a vet that specializes in orthopedics? Many specialty groups have an orthopedic sub-group. They may have some ideas about how to help her short of an amputation. But, even if that were to be what they recommend, you could at least feel more confident in considering that option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blankblank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - and, oh my! Have you had her evaluated by a vet that specializes in orthopedics? Many specialty groups have an orthopedic sub-group. They may have some ideas about how to help her short of an amputation. But, even if that were to be what they recommend, you could at least feel more confident in considering that option.
Alright thank you sm!