Cat with lungworm started wheezing after treatment

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I took in a feral rescue last month with an injury and he also needed a tail amputation. That healed but he also had 4 parasites, including lungworm. He didn’t have any symptoms of lungworm at all. He had a topical treatment, and then 10 days of panacur. His last dose was 3 days ago. Last night he had a coughing fit. And then was wheezing with wet sounding breathing. After an hour it stopped. I called the vet this morning and they agreed it could be lungworms causing the issue still. He was breathing and acting normally this morning but had another episode after playing. Anyone deal with lungworm in cats before? I’ve never and apparently it’s a bit rare where I live. I don’t know what to expect. The vet said it can take a week after treatment to kill them all but he only just started wheezing after his treatment was over

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m kind of dreading another round of panacur because he really took a lot of persuading to eat. I will not force him to because he’s feral and we are working on trust. He has already had a bout of stress related cystitis so the vet is hesitant to have him come back unless the issue with the wheezing gets worse. I have a lot of anxiety myself and it’s all gotten very bad worrying over his health.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In searching this site for previous lungworm diagnoses, I found Meowmee Meowmee who has apparently dealt with this and maybe they will see me refer to them and let you know about their experience. There were other posts, but the members do not seem to be active on this site anymore.

Hoping others come along soon to offer some firsthand experiences.