Cat with liver disease Tips and Advice on care

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone
My cat has been recently diagnosed with liver disease, he is currently at the vet for further monitoring and to get an in-depth diagnosis. The vet said that he will send him back home with medication and a special food.
Any one here has some experience with helping their cats get better, especially when it comes to getting their appetite back. This is my first time with dealing with a condition like this so I am lost at the moment, any tips and advice would be very much appreciated.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It really depends on what is causing the issue. One of my cats had hepatic lipidosis many years ago, and with that, he completely lost his appetite and had to have a feeding tube put in so we could feed him through that. This may be the case with your little one. As I said, it really depends on what's wrong. Wait for your Vet to advise you. They will be able to direct you on medications also. The liver can usually heal itself as long as the underlying condition is treated, so that's what the Vet needs to determine...what caused the issue in the first place. Sometimes it's an infection of some sort.

Anyway, hang in there and let us know more once YOU know more.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like it's been said already liver problems are usually secondary to something else. While at the vet, I would ask for Fortiflora. It's probiotics but also an appetite enhancer and helps to get cats eat, and has a few things to support the immune system too.

I use this to support the liver health as prescribed by our vet: Silycumin

It's the milk thistle and turmeric that helps, but it also has a few other things like B12 vitamin to increase the nutrition absorption. Your vet might already prescribe something similar but stronger. This is just to show to discuss with the vet. You may also use something like this after the first treatment. (When my cat was on meds she didn't take any other supplement. I started this after the treatment to prevent something similar happening again.)

I didn't use prescription food for liver. I used a high protein, low carb food (Acana wild prairie for dry food, gourmet gold pate and pro plan delicate as wet foods.) BUT... the right food really depends on the what caused the liver problem. Also discuss a Plan B with the vet for food if your kitty ends up not liking the food given by the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice.
So far my cat is still at the vet being monitored and getting the necessary IV fluids to correct dehydration (He just has his second night there), The tests showed high liver enzymes but everything else was fine.
The vet also recommended Milk thistle (which we he started to give to him).

I think the trickiest part in this whole thing is getting the right food. Not many brands are available here (its almost always royal canin), and those that do exist are tough to find. I managed to secure some royal canin recovery, which is high in protein (also recommended to us) and is easy to syringe feed.

So far there has not been any discussions on the option of tube feeding

He will be back after two days and until then I can only wait for the vets full decision.

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone
Just a quick update: My cat is back home after 4 nights at the clinic. He seems much more hydrated, but still lacks the appetite as you would expect from situations like these. I am currently syringe feeding him royal canin recovery as its the only food he seems to like to eat the moment.
he still has no interest in dry food but has had a dry treat.
hopefully things will go up from here

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad he is home. Even when he starts eating on his own, you may need to continue to syringe feed him for quite some time just to make sure he's getting enough calories. Is he on any supplements/medications other than the milk thistle?

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
It has been a few days and he is recovering better than I expected it
His appetite is getting better and he is starting to eat more of the recovery food. As for the dry food he finally showed some interest, but he still is only eating a little bit but its better than nothing.
I still have to force feed him at some times (just small quantities) to make sure he is getting the calories.

He was not given any medications by the vet. the follow up lab tests will be after a few weeks

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad he is eating at least some on his own. That's great!!! Are you still giving him the milk thistle? That's a very good supplement for helping the liver recover.

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Just another update.
My cat was doing fine until yesterday. before this he ate his recovery food with assistance (but no struggle) and occasionally nibbles on some dry food. Water intake is fine. He has gained some weight which is excellent.
Yesterday morning he starting acting strange, his nose was dripping and the mouth had some heavy drooling and he peed/pooped (looked like diarreha) outside the litter box. On top of that he refused to eat.
He is at the vet receiving IV fluids to treat his dehydration. I called them today and he is still tired and not eating so he will be staying another day with them.
has anyone had a similar experience like this, its so sudden and he was doing some amazing recovery before it happened.

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Just another update.
My cat was doing fine until yesterday. before this he ate his recovery food with assistance (but no struggle) and occasionally nibbles on some dry food. Water intake is fine. He has gained some weight which is excellent.
Yesterday morning he starting acting strange, his nose was dripping and the mouth had some heavy drooling and he peed/pooped (looked like diarreha) outside the litter box. On top of that he refused to eat.
He is at the vet receiving IV fluids to treat his dehydration. I called them today and he is still tired and not eating so he will be staying another day with them.
has anyone had a similar experience like this, its so sudden and he was doing some amazing recovery before it happened.
Another addition:
it has been two weeks since he first came out the vet for his liver diagnosis. every thing was visibly imporing. his gums and becoming pink again and his energy levels are coming back. he also started grooming himself.
so to see this all crashing down in one day was just so scary ....

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had one cat who was diagnosed with liver disease but that was almost 30 years ago and veterinary medicine/treatment was not as advanced as it is today. My heart goes out to your boy and you. Since my experience was different than yours I have no advice but sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had one cat who was diagnosed with liver disease but that was almost 30 years ago and veterinary medicine/treatment was not as advanced as it is today. My heart goes out to your boy and you. Since my experience was different than yours I have no advice but sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you. I am hopeful that he will get out of it fine, just like he did two weeks ago. He seems to do better at home than he does at the clinic I am guessing that being in a strange environment does not sit with him well (but some visits are a must regardless how my cat feels about them). Last time the vet told me that he had to force feed him but at home he was more accepting to the food.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No experience with this specific issue, but sending healing vibes your way :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Please keep up posted.

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update:
He came out of the vet yesterday in excellent condition. The vet said it might be a stomach upset. he is now relaxing at home and eating and drinking normally :yess:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
update: He came out of the vet yesterday in excellent condition. The vet said it might be a stomach upset. he is now relaxing at home and eating and drinking normally :yess:
Thanks for the update, that's wonderful news. Fingers crossed he gets a good night's sleep and you too. :crossfingers:

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Happy new years everyone, just another update:
he is doing very well and he started eating good quantities of dry food all on his own. This improvement is definitely one of the best ways to enter the new year.

Kiryuu_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello every one, long time no update.
My cats is officially healthy :yess:, he went in for follow up visit and everything was just perfect.
the vet told me to make sure he stays on a high quality dies and hopefully he will be healthy.
thank you to all who helped and those who sent good thoughts :hearthrob: