Cat with Cyst

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16 year old cat has a large walnut sized cyst hanging off her cheek. It leaks all the time and it’s kind of disgusting. She’s constantly scratching at it too so I think it bothers her. Especially when she shakes her head and it smacks her. The vet said all they can do is drain it.

Has anyone else had experienced cysts on their cat? If so is there a way you were able to get rid of them or did the cat just live with it?

You can see it right here. It literally just popped and is now leaking all over. It does this every month or so.

E12697D0-BC3B-416B-A349-95070A58C0FC.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There may be a pocket that is just refilling every time it gets drained. If this is the case, it should be able to be surgically removed.
Yes that’s exactly what’s happening with it. The vet said my cats too old to remove the cyst. I don’t want her to go under general anesthesia because of her age, but is there another way to remove it without the anesthesia? I wasn’t sure if there was a possibility of a sedative and numbing the area. But does a sedative have the same risks as anesthesia?

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would definitely have the cyst removed. There is no other permanent solution to make it stop bothering her.

The anesthesia must be general for cats because they are unable to cooperate with local sedation. Your vet should order a blood test to determine if her kidneys are still working properly. That is the main issue with operating on older cats.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is it possible for you to be referred to an internist or veterinary dermatologist or other referral clinic or teaching hospital? Even a second opinion from a vet not in the same practice might help. It may be possible that there is something that could be done to get this off your cat's face. Technically, sedation and anesthesia are two different pathways for both humans and animals with sedation usually indicating a lighter unconsciousness or relaxation and anesthesia indicating no consciousness. The problem with sedation and cats is that they may not be "out" enough for a procedure. My Jamie has been regularly sedated for ultrasounds, but all he has to be it out of it for a few minutes, not unconscious enough to allow an incision.

Somehow, though, the idea that this is going to hang off your cat's face ad infinitum does not sound right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said we can do the blood panel and see if she's a candidate for the surgery. She did say that at her age, there is a high chance of death from anesthesia. Since the last pop, it hasn't grown back nearly as big as before. I know it's uncomfortable for her, but I don't really want to risk her dying from the anesthesia. For 16 she is still very spunky and I wouldn't want to cut her time short.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If your vet gave you a specific anesthesia warning, I do get that. Is this something where it starts to enlarge and you can go in to the vet at that point and have it drained, thereby keeping it smaller but not having surgery?